1998 yukon Mystery p0300 and rough idle still

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

east302

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So going all the way counterclockwise is something way off like 40?

It should be tossing a P1345 code by now.

Grab a picture with the cap off at TDC, wondering what this looks like.

east302

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I’ve read something like this happening in more than one place. Same issue as you. They rotated the distributor gear 180 degrees and got the offset to zero.

Probably wouldn’t hurt to visually compare the gears on your new vs old distributor.

Link below…

OP
OP
O

OilBurner2003

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I’ve read something like this happening in more than one place. Same issue as you. They rotated the distributor gear 180 degrees and got the offset to zero.

Probably wouldn’t hurt to visually compare the gears on your new vs old distributor.

Link below…

I’ll do that tomorrow morning, I’m done for the night. Been putting this thing out and in for 7 hours straight trying to get this perfect. You might be onto something with the gears…I’ll send a pic of the new distributor and old distributor gears as well when I do all this comparison. You guys are always a great help!

exp500

Full Access Member
Reaction score
@OilBurner2003 - see posts #123 & #132 pics 2&3. Take a Big long huge (so it doesn't disappear if you drop it) flat blade screwdriver and turn the oil pump drive counterclockwise about 20-30 degrees.(one tooth). Pay attention to where rotor points when first engaging gear then the helix till oil pump engages. Rotor in wrong place? again adjust oil pump drive It is pretty fast to redrop dist if it doesn't line up. Don't reassemble till rotor points to triangle8 mark when seated.

east302

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Here's a thought. If I install the old distributor and I can get it dialed in, would that mean my new dist is the problem you think?

Yep (assuming you haven’t been off a tooth) but a quick check to see if your distributor was assembled wrong is to see if the dimple (below the pin in the gear) lines up with the paint mark and shows the rotor pointing to the “starting” spot before it drops in.

0CCB1E83-39EF-4856-99AB-C4D591435AB4.png
75D0DC27-B163-4272-B817-8C1B1FFBD2ED.jpeg

Last edited: