1998 Tahoe Mini H1 in spyder headlight retrofit

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

btewalt10

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Well, i finally decided to get new headlights and i wanted projectors so i found some spyder projector headlights that i liked. When i got them in i was thrilled at the output of them compared to my old yellowed clear lens halogen reflector, the high beam on the spyder headlights weren't too good and i wanted HIDs and soon afterwards i learned about retrofitting. After several weeks of researching i decided to call the guys at The Retrofit Source and they were sooo helpful, they told me that their Mini H1 would be a very simple bolt on retrofit, they have both low and high beam so i ordered them. I already had some DDM HIDs that i was going to put in the spyder headlights but they didn't fit which is another reason i wanted a good HID projector.When they came in one had a broke lens retainer but after a few emails, Matt from TRS had me a new one in no time.
I did my research on how must people did retrofits, considering this was my first time but I was very anxious to learn how. First i took out my headlights, which were held in place by two screw in rods which is really easy compared to how many cars have to take them out. Once they were both out i took out all the bulbs and removed the old projector bowl, the projector was different that any i have seen they weren't together like most the lens was actually held in place by the headlight itself. I then heated my oven to 250 and placed them in for around 7-9 minutes to heat the glue one at a time. When i took them out took off the lenses and that when the fun began.

The first thing i realized is that the spyder brackets were not going to work so i ditched them and grinded out the hole big enough for the projector to fit through with a dremel
IMG_1216.jpg
Once I got it big enough i had to make sure there was plenty of clearance for the front lens and i had to mount the projector about a half an inch back so that it did not touch the front lens
IMG_1218.jpg
After many test runs of mounting the lights i finally got the cutoff pretty even and was able to screw it onto the headlight, this was not easy because the headlight sit just a little crooked once mounted and I had to guess a little bit because i was not on perfectly level ground
IMG_1222.jpg
After a little headache i finally got them adjusted right and was able to put it all back together, the Mini H1 projector lenses were actually slightly larger than the stock ones so i had to dremel out the black shroud in order for it to fit, i took my time on this because i did not want it to be messed up and overall i think it turned out great! I put them back in the oven and reassembled everything and also put some high temp silicone in the small gap between the headlight and projector in order to seal it up, I did get some small silicon packets and put behind the shroud out of the way of everything to hopefully keep down any fogging that may occur.
IMG_1246.jpg
Once installed and turned on I had some trouble with some flickering so I ordered up a relay kit from TRS and that fixed it right up, and installation was a breeze! I am STUNNED at the output these things produce!!!! The cutoff is amazing too, my passenger side bulb is not seated properly so its cutoff doesn't produce good flicker like the other side but you cannot tell because the other side makes up for it. I pulled up at a friends house and had to take this picture, I thought it looked pretty awesome.
IMG_1332.jpg
And here's a pic of the cutoff, it's a little further away than 25 feet and I am amazed at how wide these projectors throw, i can see into both ditches and easily further, whereas with my old headlights I was limited to just in front of my truck. I love driving at night now, I love how when i am behind somebody and can throw light past their car and am still not blinding people like how some peopel throw HIDs in a reflector housing which causes very bad glare. I have tried telling my friends about the upgrade to a good HID projector because they want HIDs too, after they see my lights, so I tell them not too mainly cause they will blind everybody and the output will be terrible. I am currently running DDM 35w 6000K bulbs and ballasts but will be upgrading to Morimoto 4300K bulbs and their ballasts. Matt and everyone at TRS are incredibly helpful and they helped me many, many times throughout my retrofit, they have amazing customer service and when i called the phone only rang one time and they picked up that's impressive. Overall i am extremely happy with my retrofit I cannot believe that I did not do it sooner. If anyone has any questions or comments, I would be glad to answer them. I have plenty more pictures that I could post, I also am going to try to get better picture of the cutoff with a better camera because my Iphone just doesn't do it justice.

xanatost

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Nice. I got the same light in my truck and I want to redo them because I can not get them to aim worth a ****. How did you reglue the lights back together and could you post a pic of the back of the lights? I want to see how you got them to fit back together. All some job there :)

HortonHiresAHoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Those are incredible... exactly what I've been looking for. I plan on doing this soon and will be bugging you for more info. Thanks for the post!!!!

Gzes

the drifting 2dr
Reaction score
Damn that looks great!!! I have redneck cutoff on mine. Cattleguard cutoff;)

chaingun427

OBS Mad Scientist
Reaction score
zahu3u5y.jpgI'm liking at this set of projector headlights which look like the same model as yours only chromed. Would there be any issue using them with a normal size h1 hid lamp? Guess I'm asking if I did those headlights and a ddm h1 4500k kit what is the advantage of this retrofit (and what projectors are you using on the retrofit)

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I537 using Tapatalk

OP
OP
B

btewalt10

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Ok first off, I reglued them by sticking them back in the oven for about 7 minutes at 250 then put the tabs back on I also put some black silicon around it for extra insurance I'll post a pic next time I get on my computer.

The projectors are a Morimoto Mini H1 from The Retrofit Source.com awesome company they are low beams and high beams I have the 4 high mod so the other high beams come on, it mainly just adds to the foreground light here is a link.

http://www.theretrofitsource.com/co...-xenon-morimoto-mini-h1-6-0.html#.UvXeTXi9LCQ

This is only the projectors, with the hid kit it's $270 but totally worth it, it's a great kit quality bulbs and ballasts.

The stock projectors that come with these headlights won't fit a HID bulb...without a little modification lol. Although I would not recommend this, a halogen projector is not designed for an HID bulb the focal points are off and even though it will be a lot better than HIDs in reflector housings you still may have glare for oncoming traffic. The halogen projector will not throw light as wide and as far or focused as a good HID projector will like the Mini H1, by no means. Also I wouldn't get the DDM bulbs they are bad about sending you the wrong color most people say they only really get a 6000k bulb even if they order 4500 or 5000 and my ddm bulbs one is not aligned right and it causes the cutoff to not have a pretty blue purple cutoff on one side I'll post a pic of that too later.

Thanks for all the feedback I'm happy to answer any questions because I'm really proud of this retrofit and love driving with them haha!

chaingun427

OBS Mad Scientist
Reaction score
That is a lot of great information My first question now would be, do you have any pics of the mounting of the mini h1's from the rear? you said you had to mount them about half an inch back to properly align them, what did you use to create that spacing? I'm honestly not concerned at the moment with the color of the cutoff etc i'm just tired of not being able to see at night and i figure i might as well go all out when i do this upgrade lol.
One last question at the moment. Are your headlights the real spyders or the replicas that seem to be all over ebay? and how are they doing with the heat generated by the HIDs?

OP
OP
B

btewalt10

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
image.jpg here's the backside I couldn't get a good picture because I couldn't get the headlight adjuster off. These are the ones off ebay they may or may not be legit but the projector bowls that came on them are the right ones for the spyder kits.

I had to drill small holes into the headlight to let the screws that hold the lens retainer onto the bowl sit inside so that it would sit as close as it could I don't have any pics of that but I will try to explain it the best I can with the pictures I have. It sits only about a quarter inch from being flush with the projector bowl, I used no spacer I sealed the small gaps with high temp solid and the headlight is taking the heat just fine so far most of it is soaked up by the projector bowl.

If I knew there was enough room I would've put the FX-R full size projector in it because it has a better high beam and wider low beam but I do not regret getting the Mini H1 AT ALL!!! You might could look into that although I feel like it won't fit, just always want more am I right lol?

chaingun427

OBS Mad Scientist
Reaction score
Ok, im currently running nice yellow stockers, so here is my thought process, first get the halogen projectors I linked earlier either spyders or the knockoffs. Then save up for the mini h1 and ddm 35w kit, do the mod, and if I'm unhappy with it I get the miamoto kit. Does that sound like a logical plan? I need better forward lighting regardless of what I end up doing, I don't want to cheap out but on the other hand to me one of the biggest draws of the 400 platform is moddability without extremly high cost, a sub $300 hid retrofit is right along those lines. A few additional questions. Would the 55w 9005 hid high beam need a projector too? Could I use washers to space the minis back then seal them with rtv? And finally could the 35w lows and the 55w highs be run in 4hi?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I537 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jhmjr