1997 tahoe won’t start

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jfromoutwest

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
No crank no start , Horn blows when trying to turn key , pulled the horn relay and now it just clicks , power is going to the starter relay , and there is no security light on when the dash lights up .. any help ?

Eman85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Horn blows?? That's a big red flag as I can't think of any system aside from keyless remote that ties into the horn. Does it have any aftermarket remote start or alarms? All power starts and ends at the battery so that's the first stop on the diagnostic train. Check power and ground to start with.

OP
OP
J

jfromoutwest

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Horn blows?? That's a big red flag as I can't think of any system aside from keyless remote that ties into the horn. Does it have any aftermarket remote start or alarms? All power starts and ends at the battery so that's the first stop on the diagnostic train. Check power and ground to start with.
i pulled the horn relay so it doesn’t blow. when i turn the key now , all that happens is the radio clicks on and off and the fuel pump kicks on again

NickTransmissions

Sin City
Supporting Member
Reaction score
think it’s something with the wires on the ignition switch , it started a few days ago ,shut it off , and then i was going to put the key in the ignition and accidentally hit the opening where the wires are and it didn’t start after that .
If you find its not the ignition switch, check the transmission’s manual lever position sensor and wiring leading to it (mounted to driver side of trans at the seldctor shaft)…if yours is ‘97 it should have a two-connector switch. One is for park the other is for neutral. If it fails, you will have a no crank/no start condition but all other functions will typically work like radio, power windows, etc…also try putting it in neutral to see if it will start…ive seen some of those things partially fail where vehicles won’t start in P but will in N…

Eman85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
think it’s something with the wires on the ignition switch , it started a few days ago ,shut it off , and then i was going to put the key in the ignition and accidentally hit the opening where the wires are and it didn’t start after that .
Don't have any idea what wires you could get near while attempting to put the key in the ignition.
If you want to play the guessing game you're most likely going to replace a lot of parts that don't need replacing. It's time for basics and diagnostics unless you're a lucky guesser.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
willie110hh