1997 Tahoe Transfer Case Wiring Harness

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

situ

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Hi to everyone

Newbie with his first technical question. Starting to get to know my 97 Tahoe better and getting some minor issues resolved. Sorry for the long post. I am not a mechanic and my English is not the best (I am in Switzerland).

I tried the push-button 4x4 (Hi/Low, no auto) to see if it works. 4 Hi and 4 Low seem to work. But the light on the switch does not stop blinking. Started to troubleshoot. The front axle actuator extends. The transfer case switch works. Tried the 4wd on the lift and it works (front wheels become active, when in 4wd, etc.). Changed the selector switch in the car (NOS GM). Checked the actuator and the wires.

The strange thing:
The car has the electric actuator (original GM). On the wiring harness, where the actuator is plugged in, there is an unused 2-pin plug. Therefore I guess, that someone at somepoint converted the car from thermal to electric (I assume, that the 2-pin plug was used for the thermal).

Therefore I guess, that the selector switch in the car does not get the feedback, that 4wd has been activated successfully. Troubleshooting and comparing to all different diagrams I found I guess, that there's a wire missing in my car. The transfer case relay is pinned to the firewall (seems original), but has no wire to it.

Is it possible, that i am missing the wire on the drawing below? And if yes, where can I buy such a wire/harness with the correct plugs on both ends?

Thank you and kind regards

Andres

Attachments

• IMG_E6064.JPG
    IMG_E6064.JPG
    431.4 KB · Views: 24

exp500

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Google GM parts, search by VIN number. Or a trip to Upullit! Report Findings!

OP
OP
S

situ

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Thank you!

I am not able to find any number, neither in my repair books nor googling. And sadly there are only fery few junk yards around here and none of them have a Chevy to strip.

I will keep searching and hope to find more information. Or maybe I could buy a complete wiring kit on EBay and separate what I need.

Thank you and kind regards!

exp500

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Here are a couple to try, you will have to search by picture and reference number after entering vin. It will take awhile.
Then the search for likely discontinued parts begins.

OP
OP
S

situ

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Thank you very much. I searched on the sites, but couldn't find anything. I am starting to contact junk yards. Maybe someone has a harness I can buy.
Kind regards

exp500

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Post last 8 of your VIN, maybe someone will help out.

east302

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The diagram that you posted is for a NV246 which has the “auto” on the push button. A NV243 would be what you described. NV241 is the manual floor shift. The RPO label in the glovebox will tell you what it originally came with. Code NP8 is the auto NV246 and NP1 is the NV243 transfer case.

You can download PDF copies of the factory manual here:

They don’t have 1997; try 1998 as it’s probably close or nearly identical. It will have the wiring diagrams and diagnostic tables so that you can identify what you have or may be missing. An alternative is alldatadiy.com which is a subscription service that includes the same information as the GM manual.

I hope this helps, good luck!

OP
OP
S

situ

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Thank you very much! I will read through the manuals and search for the diagrams and for the harness to the transfer case relay.

It's an NV243 transfer case.

As the 4x4 works and the only thing missing is the feedback to the button, that it has engaged, I assume, that there is either a problem with the Transfer Case Shift Control Module or with the missing harness to the transfer case relay (if one is needed).

I will let you know, if I find out something.

IMG_6156.JPG

IMG_E6153.jpg

OP
OP
S

situ

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
PS: some additional info.
The GM electric actuator is connected to a harness with a 5-pin connector. But the harness has only 3 wires (I think brown, blue and black (but not 100% sure)). Then there is another unused 2-pin connector at the end of the same harness. This is just hanging lose (not plugged in anywhere).
The actiator extends as it should.

OP
OP
S

situ

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Can anyone help me find a 243 transfer case / axle actuator wiring harness for a 97 Tahoe? It has the push button 4x4 and the electric actuator. I am looking for the 4-wire harness (original). There are no GMT400s on junk yards around here...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mitchievu