1997 Tahoe 4D, Hot air coming into the cabin through the steering column! Rubber boot failing!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

1997TahoeFix

Reaction score
In my 1997 Tahoe LT 4 door, the steering shaft goes out the cabin and into the engine bay through a hole in the firewall, underneath the driver's side dashboard. There is supposed to be a rubber boot or "rubber grommet" on the engine side which creates a seal at this transition. Mine became unseated, leaving a gaping hole. Hot air from the engine bay was rushing into the cabin and ruining any attempts at air conditioning. Here's a picture of the problem:

ngK1mBi.jpg

You can see how bad the leak was up close:

TzAOFeF.jpg

First I lubed up the shaft where it was rusted near the boot. I started gently tugging on the rubber on opposite sides with pliers. Finally I figured out a better way to get it seated. I went to the other side, opened the hood, and pushed the rubber boot from behind into the hole. Every so often I would have to go back to the cabin and guide it with the pliers to make sure it was seating correctly. Eventually it was back in place:

aDblaQp.jpg

There is a little notch on the bottom of the whole and the boot has a little tab that fits inside it. Then I added some heat resistant duct tape (The kind used for the air ducts on the back of dryers). The tape is not touching the grommet, which needs to move freely. but the tape is there to help insulate and trap any residual air leaks.

Ck30x40.jpg

To prevent the boot from unseating again, I installed a small plumber's clamp on the steering column just behind the boot, to act as a stop and prevent the boot from sliding back again.

vmwC3pe.jpg

Is that a bad idea? The last thing I want is that little clamp sliding down and locking the steering in place at highway speed. I was careful to avoid clamping on the boot, which should move freely. I was also careful to avoid clamping too close to that joint, which must spend and move freely as well. That circular clamp is tightened very hard with an impact driver socket and hopefully it's safe there.

Does anyone think that circular clamp is in danger of sliding off and locking the steering?

is there a safer way to lock that rubber boot in place? Anyway, the cabin is cooling much better now that the hole is plugged. Maybe it's my imagination but the steering even feels a little better with that grommet there.

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
I like the clamp idea and see no reason why it would cause a problem. Check every so often to make sure is tight and not slipping. Hell, I would even push the boot closer to the firewall and add a second clamp with the tensioning screw 180 degrees from the first clamp tensioning screw.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mitchievu