1997 GMC Yukon - Can the Steering Wheel Speed/Angle Sensor Be Unplugged

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Kelly Marchewa

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Greetings:

I have a 1997 GMC Yukon. According to my understanding, this year is equipped with VES that includes a sensor that seems to be variably referred to as steering wheel speed or angle sensor. The steering in the vehicle is twitchy and problematic in wet conditions. We suspect the steering wheel speed sensor is the culprit. My question is, is it safe to simply unplug this sensor or not? Would there be any negative consequences? Thanks.

east302

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There is the EVO system (electronic variable
orifice or something like that), is that what you are looking at? It consists of a solenoid valve on the power steering pump and a sensor on the steering column under the dash.

I’ve heard that disconnecting the connector at the valve on the steering pump defaults it to high boost at all times, leaving things a bit tricky. But, others have done that without issue.

I’m not sure about unplugging the sensor on the steering column, but it’s not difficult to replace. A faulty steering column sensor usually feels like hitting a patch of ice when going around a sweeping curve in the road. There’s a sudden steering overboost and then it’s back to normal.

GM realized that it’s a marginal design and no longer makes the EVO control valve on the steering pumps. Rather, they sell ($) a bypass kit that allows the entire system to be removed at the pump, turning it into a pre-EVO setup. That’s probably the best long-term solution, but now you’re pulling the power steering pump and doing the whole fluid flush thing.

Short-term would be just replace the sensor on the column as that part is readily available.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

drakon543

Full Access Member
Reaction score
just make sure you have an actual pulley puller if your doing the power steering. once the evo has been bypassed your twitchy steering will be solved there is no need to pass with anything else. so just make sure you buy a whole pump assembly that has 2 connection pipes.

exp500

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My fix was a 96 pump and pressure hose, leave evo orfice plugged in or you will get codes. Tie wrap it to the harness. Get a good Alignment, I reccomend toe at .08 or less, better mileage and tires last. If not enough caster it gets twitchy or wanders. Alignment shops sell tires. I don't remember the numbers bur tire scrub at 1/4 inch toe is something like 800 ft/mile = alot. And look at before/after measurement from alignment, if the rear measurement changed then shop is screwing you.
An easy check is measure wheelbase left and right a couple times parked in the same place. More than .125 inch difference left and right and you need caster. I also reduced pump pressure for more "feel" about 200 pounds with a shim kit. Hope this helps.

Shibbershabber

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just to be clear

if I have a 1999 truck with the EVO system.....

I can simply buy a pump and high pressure line for a 1996 truck and bolt it on up and Im good to go?