1997 GMC Yukon Build Thread

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
97YukonNZ

97YukonNZ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had a wee race up a stretch of road with a big road bike recently. I wound her up to 4500rpm between gear changes and pulled up to around 95mph.

I wonder if that cleared the block of some build up as She does spend a bit of time parked up in the garage.

Tonyrodz

Resident Resident
Reaction score
Thought you saw that mess in the radiator at 1st. I thought head gasket, until I re-read it. If it's only in the overflow and not the radiator--if it was me--I'd do a coolant flush, and if everything else checks out ok, I'd just keep an eye on it. I wouldn't call myself a mechanic, but that's what I would do.

OP
OP
97YukonNZ

97YukonNZ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thought you saw that mess in the radiator at 1st. I thought head gasket, until I re-read it. If it's only in the overflow and not the radiator--if it was me--I'd do a coolant flush, and if everything else checks out ok, I'd just keep an eye on it. I wouldn't call myself a mechanic, but that's what I would do.
Thanks Tony
That is what I'm thinking as its not overheating or fuming and oil is looking good.
I think the sludge in the cap is what got sucked through from the refill bottle on the drive over.16839482199548090328227782951974.jpgNot a bad Saturday afternoon here for an Autumn day. Cool and still.
Lol your type of weather!

OP
OP
97YukonNZ

97YukonNZ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Its a bigger climb back out of here tomorrow. About a 1/10th gradient so ill look at everything again when i get home.
You cant drive out of here in a car with cooling issues so if there is an issue i should be able to see evidence of it.

Tonyrodz

Resident Resident
Reaction score
Its a bigger climb back out of here tomorrow. About a 1/10th gradient so ill look at everything again when i get home.
You cant drive out of here in a car with cooling issues so if there is an issue i should be able to see evidence of it.
Hopefully it was just a fluke and everything is good to go.

OP
OP
97YukonNZ

97YukonNZ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have enjoyed the look of new roof recently after the new paint went on.

Have decided to do a home show in Blenheim. Going to sell salami/sausage
There over 3 days.
Is a 200 mile drive north of Christchurch where we live.

Am going to drive the Yukon.

Going to be the longest trip in her so far!
Will be taking all the gear. Tables,signs,the steel work for hanging salami from. And about 600 salami

So I need to put the roofrack back on.20230612_172123.jpgIt really needed a clean up so i decided to go too far and sand,prime and paint the rails.20230612_170531.jpgIt came up pretty good! Not perfect but will do for now!
I actually like the look of it now its back on the roof.
Is pretty streamlined and definitely needed!

Last edited:
OP
OP
97YukonNZ

97YukonNZ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
On another note;

We here in New Zealand have to have our cars tested for road worthiness on a regular basis to be legally allowed to use them on our roads.

Cars after 2000 are checked annually
The beast being pre 2000 gets checked 6 monthly.
If you are caught driving without a w.o.f you may get fined $150
If you are unlucky and get a cop who likes the power you could get a separate fine for each item that doesn't come up to code!
Usually you'll just get a warning and 2 weeks to get it sorted.

Is a good way of keeping up with the health of your vehicle!

Anyway: I had a test in December 2020 and failed on a lower right ball joint.

It was coming up on Christmas week and i was lucky enough to find the part so i booked the job in with the guy's that failed it and wouldnt you know it! The dealership gave me the wrong part!
A 2 wheel drive ball joint instead of a 4wd.

So i had to wait a couple of weeks for the part to arrive. 5 months later I finally get it done and passed for inspection.
All is good!

So that means i had a test and failed. It is in the system for Land Transport Authority showing it failed and why.
It also shows the fail 6 months later and the pass as they fixed it.

Yes i drove illegally on it for 6 months. Only got it fixed because if you dont have a current wof you cant register the vehicles license of registration and then there are insurance issues to follow if you crash.

So now it gets interesting.
She passes the next 2 tests over 2022.
No Sweat!
Just had a test last week and guess what?
It Failed!
Right front Ball Joint! Again!!

So i got them to check it out and looking under her you could see a new ball joint on the left hand side!

The changed out the left side and filed the paperwork as the right side being done! That means I've been driving on a failing ball joint for 3 years!

So i went and bought a new part and took the rig back down and talked to the business owner. He was very embarrassed and gutted with his employees.
Asked him to look after me on the labor for the job and he readily agreed.

No point in me ragging people ayy!

So i go into the office to book the job in.
His wife is the office lady.
When I give her the news(talk to the woman) she pretty much spits the dummy.
Reckons its a mistake and there is no way they would have missed that!!

Let alone the fact that it could have failed at 60mph and killed me and the people i smashed into.

Lol i still haven't learned! Talk to the man!
Leave him to sort out the office staff ;)

Amazing that she would even attempt to question the situation.
Is all on file. I have it on paper.

Really i could report it and lose them their license to warrant car fitness.
It might yet happen if there is anymore attitude!

Welcome to Tony's short Stories :favorites37:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
patrickleeleep