1996 Yukon 4door gas tank cut

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

kratos

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I want to cut into the floor of truck to access the fuel pump. I’m having a hard time finding info on line about this. Where should make the cut? Under the back seats or in back? I don’t wanna drop the tank. I know I will break other things if I drop the tank because that’s what happens when things are rusty lol. Any advice on where to make the cut would be great. Thank you!

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
This old of a rig should drop the tank instead of a floor hole cut. You are still gonna break some old connections as you disconnect lines to remove the pump. You are talking about safety here. Drop the tank and deal with ANY connections that break when you do disassembly. Pump the fuel out of the tank to lighten the load.

wjburken

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I know I will break other things if I drop the tank because that’s what happens when things are rusty lol. Any advice

My advice is the same as Ron. Drop the tank and deal with the broken stuff now. In fact, plan on it and have the parts on-hand before you start.

I would much rather deal with it all now, in my driveway/garage where my tools are at instead of along the highway somewhere. Even if you cut the hole in the floor, you will likely break stuff getting your old pump out anyways and replacing busted parts through a 8” square opening in your floor board is going to be a lot tougher than having free and clear access from underneath without a tank in the way.

OP
OP
K

kratos

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I would think 8 inches is to small.. I planned on a hole that I could run new lines in and threw just incase I broke any hard wear. Which I’m sure I will. The truck is on my street. At least it took a poo in front of my place n not some were else.

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
I would think 8 inches is to small.. I planned on a hole that I could run new lines in and threw just incase I broke any hard wear. Which I’m sure I will. The truck is on my street. At least it took a poo in front of my place n not some were else.

Well, you are gonna do what you are gonna do. Good luck.

drakon543

Full Access Member
Reaction score
as stated above your going to probably end up replacing stuff anyway. with the age lines dont like to be disconnected anymore. to cut a hole big enough to pull it out far enough to get the pump off would just create bigger problems for yourself.

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Not to mention, the structural integrity of that floor. Picture this worse case scenario: You cut a large hole in the floor and then cover it/patch it the best way you know how. You are driving and get T-***** and the side impact crushes in enough that the metal hole patch is broken loose and shoved sideways, under extreme pressure, and someone sitting there has a KNIFE LIKE piece of metal coming at their leg and the next thing you know there is big damage to that leg. If the hole is never cut then the floor area will typically crush and wrinkle and crease but not come up and act like a knife. The odds of this scenario happening are slim but I would never ever take that chance.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Phoenix2k9

Latest posts