1996 Tahoe rear barn door locks not working

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

cdm2019

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
My remote fob can lock and unlock the 4 doors. The door switch will also lock/unlock all 4 doors.

When I push the "REAR" button on the remote fob, the rear barn door will not lock or unlock.

I tested the actuator in the barn door and it is functional when I jumper 12v to the terminal of the actuator. I can make it retract and extend by switching polarity. Pins from actuator plug to flat contact plate on door show continuity on both wires.

I can hear the relay tick under the dash when I push the "rear" button.

Is it time to replace the relay under the dash? I removed the relay ( potter brumfield VBA 2002) and found that this is the relay that controls the 4 doors.

Does this same relay control the rear barn door actuator?

Appreciate any tips how to chase down this issue - Thanks !

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
If you see the rear door actuator moving, there is no relay problem. Did you remove the door cover and look or are you just going off of sound. If the actuator is ok then you need to look at the lock mechanism. Rig that old, the lock may be fine but is gummed up and needs cleaned and lubed or may need replaced.

Actuator: https://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo.php?pk=1935528&cc=1061356&jsn=3498

Sorry, could not find a pic/link of the lock mechanism, just the key/tumbler.

OP
OP
C

cdm2019

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Hi PNW VietVet,

The panels are all off. I just checked, definitely no movement off the lock actuator. I actually bought a new lock actuator and there is also no movement of that actuator either.

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Then you have a power delivery problem to that actuator. May be the relay, loose connection, damaged wires where the wiring feeds in the jam of the door....etc.

Mustang351cca

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Clean the contacts in the passenger door jam.. Mine did the same thing till I cleaned the contacts with a little bit emery paper.

exp500

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Grease them a little too! Along with the actuators

Eman85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What they said about the contacts at the door jamb. They are brass and oxidize, use a scotchbrite or fine sand paper and clean both sides of the contacts. You can use dielectric compound( silicon grease like you use on spark plug boots) or lithium grease but the grease will attract dirt.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jkavros

Latest posts