1995 4x4 Yukon Several Issues

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Yukon954X4

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
1. Transmission: Everytime I put it in drive it goes about a foot forward and locks up and makes a clanking sounds, ive tried to figure it out and I think its inside the transmission possible something to do with clutch or gears

2. Ive replaced the fuel filters like 4 times in the last year and I keep having 2 issues one on sharp turns the engine stalls out and 2 when it gets low it shuts offs randomly like it out of gas I have to keep it above the 2nd bar the fuel gauge is fine its not out gas it just shut offs

3. Before the transmission went out it would go about 0-20 normally then it would take it like 8 secs to get to 60 then at 60 it acts like all the power caught back up and you can feel the truck squat and speed up like theres something wrong with either the transmission or maybe fuel pump not giving it enough might be another sign of the transmission just needing a overhaul.

4. I know this one it out of place but any idea why the radio drains the battery I turn the truck off the radio turns off come out the next day and the battery is low ive checked the battery and alt replaced both twice this year also, it can usually start up the next day but on a weekend if I don't drive sat or sunday it usually wont start on Monday without a jump or charging it, ive looked for grounds and I don't see anything non of the lights stay on or anything, I have after market sound system with 2 (18 inch I think) subs in the back ive looked at it but it doesn't seem to have a ground but ive tried everything I can think of and cant figure out the issue

OP
OP
Y

Yukon954X4

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I just noticed and don't know I haven't notice but the right side tire has like a 5-8 degree turn on with the other one straight.

drakon543

Full Access Member
Reaction score
is your amp on signal wire hooked to the correct amp signak wire from the hu? next time your poking around and you shut the truck down make sure that feed wire is dead. if its still sending a signal to the amp it will stay on and drain the battery. as far as your lockup and transmission issues your one issue definitely sounds like the trans is shot. the lockup could be your transfer case binding. pull your drive shaft and pop the tail off the transfer case. check to make sure there is a heavy snap ring holding the output shaft firm to the rear bearing. if its not your shaft is moving causing the transfer case to bind

Big_Deddie

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Transmission problem is the sunshell. I would just go ahead and plan on a rebuild - might as well because you're gonna have it out any how.
I bought my rebuild kit off of Amazon for $133 - this does NOT include the shell. You will need to buy that separate.

dkknaebel

Keeping LKQ in business
Reaction score
#2 is your fuel pump. These fuel pumps are notorious for having the floats wear out and the pick up struggle to get fuel in it when it's low. I just replaced mine, wasn't too bad. But make sure your ground is really clean on the sending unit, check your fuel pump relay in the block under the hood and the oil pressure sensor.

Dave_N

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
1 / 3. I'm no expert, but 1 and 3 sound like a transmission rebuild to me.

2. sounds like a fuel pump most likely.

4. As far as the radio / battery issue, I second Drakon. Make sure your remote wire is hooked to switch power or the remote wire (blue from aftermarket head unit), not continuous power. This will leave the amp powered on, even when the radio is off. An easy way to test this is to meter the remote terminal on the amp (black lead on ground and red lead on remote terminal) with the vehicle off. You should get no voltage there. If you have any voltage there, then you know the remote wire is hooked to continuous power. If you have no voltage there, then I would disconnect the ground lead from the amp, and see if that solves the problem. if it does, then you may have a short in the amp itself. Has it blown any fuses or does it get warm at all when powered off?

Dave_N

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
1 / 3. I'm no expert, but 1 and 3 sound like a transmission rebuild to me.

2. sounds like a fuel pump most likely.

4. As far as the radio / battery issue, I second Drakon. Make sure your remote wire is hooked to switch power or the remote wire (blue from aftermarket head unit), not continuous power. This will leave the amp powered on, even when the radio is off. An easy way to test this is to meter the remote terminal on the amp (black lead on ground and red lead on remote terminal) with the vehicle off. You should get no voltage there. If you have any voltage there, then you know the remote wire is hooked to continuous power. If you have no voltage there, then I would disconnect the ground lead from the amp, and see if that solves the problem. if it does, then you may have a short in the amp itself. Has it blown any fuses or does it get warm at all when powered off?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DefiantOne