1992 GMC Yukon 2 Door

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
So, initial roadtest before buying did not do this but now started doing it on the way home? Check fluid as stated and no matter what a pain it is, drain and refill and flush if looks to need it. May also just be an adjustment but I have driven many a manual transmission truck where the synchros were pretty stiff when going in first and reverse.

97YukonNZ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It's a 4 speed with overdrive. Just bought it yesterday and it started doing it on the way home. Haven't check fluid or anything like that just cause its a pain to drain the trans.
It is a pain to do the drain but for that reasòn it may not have been done by previous owners. A definite must do!
Sounds like synchro meshing is out if getting graunch and hard 1st gear.

Eman85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I worked at a GMC dealer back then I remember 1 like that coming through the dealership. As for hard to get into gear and grinding putting it in reverse it sounds like a clutch problem. Obviously on a 30yo vehicle with 250k there's a lot of wear. If I remember correctly that has an external slave cylinder so replacement and checking is easy. If you do a clutch there are some things to check and or replace. If it does have the external slave cylinder it will have a clutch fork, buy a new one. It will also have a ball that the fork pivots on, buy a new one of those too. In those years there was a bulletin and a replacement ball. You drill and tap the bellhousing for a grease fitting and press a new greaseable ball in. I remember doing these under warranty for a chirping sound or a squeak.

M Stewart

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
They are pretty rare. Not many out there. I had a '93 C1500 Extended Cab with the 5.7 and a 5-sp. I hot-rodded it a bit with under-drive pulleys, chip, headers, exhaust, HE ignition, etc and beefed up the tranny and clutch a bit. It was a blast to drive. One of the trucks I wish I could have kept!

Looks like the Tranny is a RMT290C-3 - HM290

OP
OP
P

pedwar0728

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Sorry for the late response, life happened. Upon further inspection the slave cylinder is leaking. I've ordered a new one and will install it when I have time. It is a 4wd, it does get parked outside, and the previous owners put a Chevy grill on it for some reason.

Snapchat-1145990937.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
OP
P

pedwar0728

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I worked at a GMC dealer back then I remember 1 like that coming through the dealership. As for hard to get into gear and grinding putting it in reverse it sounds like a clutch problem. Obviously on a 30yo vehicle with 250k there's a lot of wear. If I remember correctly that has an external slave cylinder so replacement and checking is easy. If you do a clutch there are some things to check and or replace. If it does have the external slave cylinder it will have a clutch fork, buy a new one. It will also have a ball that the fork pivots on, buy a new one of those too. In those years there was a bulletin and a replacement ball. You drill and tap the bellhousing for a grease fitting and press a new greaseable ball in. I remember doing these under warranty for a chirping sound or a squeak.
It already has the grease fitting installed, I added grease to it but it didn't do anything.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Banjomatic