18-20 Suburban/YXL vs. Expedition MAX

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bradac

Reaction score
one ting I want to point out is an expedition max only provides additional cargo, over standard expedition, not additional rear passenger space, which I find as a fail on fords end. Ford does have independent rear suspension, which 2020 suburban doest have, this provides better rear leg support. the Tahoe and Yukon rear seat is trash, but Yukon XL, suburban is very good.

Long term resale, GM has always been higher.

I love the outside of the ford, but the interior is outright terrible, the huge vents, it just looks like a basic plastic ford truck, they really didn't try on the interior.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Philpug

Philpug

Full Access Member
Reaction score
one ting I want to point out is an expedition max only provides additional cargo, over standard expedition, not additional rear passenger space, which I find as a fail on fords end. Ford does have independent rear suspension, which 2020 suburban doest have, this provides better rear leg support. the Tahoe and Yukon rear seat is trash, but Yukon XL, suburban is very good.

Long term resale, GM has always been hire.

I love the outside of the ford, but the interior is outright terrible, the huge vents, it just looks like a basic plastic ford truck, they really didn't try on the interior.
3rd row is irrelevant, we don't use it. It is the space of the Max and Suburban (and YXL) is what we are after.

In talking to people who own the 3.5, the do say it's very thirsty so with the miles we drive, it is moving it to a distant second.

petethepug

Michael
Reaction score
I considered an Excursion 7.3 power stroke diesel because were all 6’+ in our family. The diesel made it ripe as a long term candidate. Unfortunately, it was too long to fit in our current home garage or parking area.

I loved the features of the Eddie Bauer edition but there were no headrests on the third row seats. Bad news for tall kids or anyone in a rear end collision.

I remember my wife’s sister got an 04 Burb. The other sister got a 05 Burb. GM was offering weekend test drives on their SUV in late 05 and I brought home an 06 Denali XL in metallic black/tan. My wife was seething. She said if it fits in the garage, you’re not taking it back. Like that mattered. She, being the youngest, practically drove it over her older sisters Burbs to show them up. We sold that ‘06 in ‘08 for $10k less than the $40K we paid for it. It had 40k on the clocks and a GMPP for 80K mi. Carfax says it’s still out there in AZ somewhere at close to 200k mi.

In ‘08, 6 Mo after it was sold, it depreciated to almost $10k total value due to the 08 housing market crash. Damn lucky on that move. All the in-laws have been in 07-14 2500 Yukon 4x4, Silverado and that same 04 Burb w/ a new GM crate motor since 04. Of course, last year we traded over from an 08 Yuke XL AWD to 09 Esky ESV AWD to get A/C seats, Flex fuel, updated trans, the Esky’s no peel paint as well as no crack Plat leather dash in a $2.5k swap. Haven’t looked back since.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

OP
OP
Philpug

Philpug

Full Access Member
Reaction score
@petethepug our 08 YXL came with the marriage, my wife got it in 08 whehn GM was having it's fire sale. It does not owe us dollar one after 180K on it. It will go to a family member back on Michigan. Now we are shopping for a new one and we really just need it by the fall, so we have time to find the perfect one.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
firedog9518

Latest posts