'16 Yukon Third Row Power Seat Stuck

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

marada

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Just picked up a new to me 2016 SLT Yukon.

When I went to test drive the vehicle I noticed the third row (60) seat down, but the 40 was up. The sales guy showed me the power button wasn't engaging the seat to go up or down. I took a quick look and noticed the cable that pulls the seat up and down wasn't attached to anything, so either 1) it slipped out, or 2) some clip or something that holds the cable broke. Wasn't too concerned and figured I'd check it out at home, as it would be a minor fix.

Long story short, I did all the paperwork, drove off the lot, and on the way home noticed the seat was up again. I thought I got lucky and they somehow fixed it.

Just tried today to lower the seat and noticed the seat wasn't engaging still, and now I can't lay it down to analyze further what the issue is.

Is there a manual way to get the seat down?

Does anyone know how to fix this loose cable problem?

IMG_5767.jpg IMG_5768.jpg

dapapa

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Marada
Had the same thing happen to my 2015 Yuk/D.. the cable “finger” you show in the pic fits into a black plastic arm that unlocks the seat. I was able to lever the arm with a long thin screw driver and unlock the seat to put it down so I could more easily access it. The plastic arm the cable finger goes into broke- the circle opening the finger fits into cracked and any torque from the cable would simply pull open the end of the arm and the cable would pull out. I got the cable finger, the metal piece in the pic , back into the lever arm, then I wrapped it tightly with fine gauge steel wire. I Had some long thin suture forceps and probably put 10 wraps around the plastic area and cable finger. Not a pretty fix but it worked, and no one can see it. I just came back from 2 weeks vacation, I was crossing my fingers whenever I raised or lowered the seats, but it held together. I put the seats up and down a hundred times and it worked great. Over the weekend I can try to get a few pix if that would help.
Hope this helps
D

OP
OP
M

marada

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Thanks for the input D, I experienced a similar situation. I got a tool with a hook on it and was able to get it down. Had to pull while pressing the button down.

Once down I had a better view. All I could do is zip tie it temporarily, but I like your idea. Below are my pictures for anyone who comes across this thread.

10cb0c1b8f4565f0850ce197192592c5.jpg

4ae1f5f0d50abd8baea83cf30b1f67e9.jpg

7ad404f70668ef99dc2d95650c916bed.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ksnell

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
can this clip be bought or should I just revert to the jb weld and zip ties? I cant find a parts breakdown anywhere. thanks

otismotis08

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I have a similar problem with my 2015 Yukon Denali. The 60 side of the 3rd row seat is stuck in the mostly down position. When I press the power seat up/down button in the back, I hear a couple of clicks but no movement. No "whirring" sound.
The 40 side of the 3rd row seat works just fine. There is a "whirring" sound as it raises/lowers the seat.

Makes me think maybe there's an electrical/motor/actuator problem with the 60 side. I've verified that there are no obstructions that are blocking movement. Also checked and the "finger" is properly situated, no broken parts there.

Suggestions?

dfralley

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I have a similar problem with my 2015 Yukon Denali. The 60 side of the 3rd row seat is stuck in the mostly down position. When I press the power seat up/down button in the back, I hear a couple of clicks but no movement. No "whirring" sound.
The 40 side of the 3rd row seat works just fine. There is a "whirring" sound as it raises/lowers the seat.

Makes me think maybe there's an electrical/motor/actuator problem with the 60 side. I've verified that there are no obstructions that are blocking movement. Also checked and the "finger" is properly situated, no broken parts there.

Suggestions?
Did you ever determine the fix? I have a 2015 Yukon D and the clips are also intact.

shop Tech

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Did you ever determine the fix? I have a 2015 Yukon D and the clips are also intact.
There's a broken wire from the module at the base of the seat inside the harness. Strip the tape and pull the wires right where it's clipped to the bottom of the seat frame