'16 Yukon brakes hard when backing boat down ramp

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

DStockton

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a '16 Yukon that brakes normal (spongy) when towing my boat but i noticed the other day when i was backing my trailer down the ramp, when the hitch extended all the way out my brakes became very hard and don't work near as good. Any ideas?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

OP
OP
D

DStockton

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I believe 4500. Its only a 23'

JTRATX

Full Access Member
Reaction score
When is the last time you flushed the fluid?

Also, brake pads transmit material to the rotor surface and can get built up over time. Best way to cure that is to re bed in the brake pads.
Lots of videos on how to bed in pads.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
D

DStockton

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've never flushed the fluids. Its a 2016. Shouldn't have to do that. I changed out the rotors and pads a year ago. Ceramic pads

Tahoe14

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Lots of information on pads out there so I don't want to start a discussion on "what are the best pads" which is kind of like "what is the best oil". You will come away from both of those discussions really confused after all the different opinions. The best advice use what works best for you. Some of the info I read does not recommend ceramic pads for large SUV vehicles and they wear your rotors faster. I would probably purchase an inexpensive set of semi-metallic and see if you have the same issue. Also look at your rotors and see if you see any build up or premature wear. Good luck.

OP
OP
D

DStockton

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Launched the boat sat and sun this weekend and my brakes acted normal. So this isn't a every time deal. Just sparatic

Floep

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Your problem sounds like you are losing brake assist, there are vacuum assist and hydraulic assist. If hydraulic, check your power
steering fluid level. Backing on the ramp changes the levels in the reservoir of both the master cylinder and the power steering level, this is the one I suspect
to be low.
I assume you keep the engine running while backing down, if not there is your problem

Last edited:

bsch3001

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
FWIW - I have had two trucks that acted this same way. A 2012 Sierra Denali and now a 2015 Sierra AT. Both did it from new. My boat is a little under 3,500 pounds - I typically only put it in once or twice a year (stays on a lift all summer) so I never bothered with it, just knew I would need to be ready to press ******* the pedal if need be.

Big Mama

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Here’s a tip from my boat mechanic. When you get to the steep incline put your truck in drive. Works great for me and according to him no damage to trans since only backing a few yards.