** '15 Yukon XL Denali w/95k miles - Yes or No? **

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Pirate

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I'm considering purchasing a one owner (not a rental) '15 Yukon XL Denali w/95k miles. Truck looks clean with only minor scratches and nicks and has new tires. Drives well but only tested it at city speeds. What are the common problems to look for?

Thanks!

Jeff

Big Mama

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There’s a thread on here for ‘15 and up but I’d also go on line and look for recalls and TSB they’ll give you a bigger picture than on here.

OP
OP
Pirate

Pirate

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Thanks, but on most mass produced modern vehicles you can pull pages and pages of TSB's but it's nice to get a real world sampling from enthusiasts that post on sites like this one. I know she(the Yukon XL Denali) will probably NOT be a cheap date but for less than half of what she sold for new in '15 I may be willing to roll the dice. I'm about to trade my '18 Explorer Sport in on her because I need more room for a 2nd competition dog and gear, not to mention my wife and kids :) Thoughts?

IMG_3359.JPG

Big Mama

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Nice. It seems that most of the newer model problems revolve around suspension problems. At the miles on yours they would have been addressed but doesn’t hurt to check the forum for 15 plus on here. Good luck. What type of shows do you enter with your dogs?

DWTahoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Too many miles for me on a 4 year old truck. That's just my opinion, but I drive a lot and mine has 74K miles. If you try to trade in a vehicle the dealer will tell you normal is 10-15K miles a year. If the price reflects super high miles then it may be worth it. Keep in mind you're coming up on many of the major services needed and things like the suspension probably have not been replaced or even thought about.

But that's just my 2 cents. Good luck.

G00se

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Here are the things I'd check for off the top of my head:
  • Torque converter & buffeting -- drive at varying speeds under different accelerations. Make sure it's in V4 mode and then V8 mode (shift into Manual Gear 7 mode to hold it in V8 mode). You'll feel like you're driving over rumble strips if the TC is bad. Buffetting can feel like a one window is down or just dizziness/nausea after awhile. Both issues are well-documented here.
  • Drive in 2wd/auto/4wd hi/lo
  • Consider have third party inspection company look at it
  • Cold start, listen and look carefully
  • Brakes/rotors
  • Carfax/AutoCheck guide. Check values on KBB, NADA, Manheim or comparable if possible. Couple guys on here I've seen post values for others who were looking to buy used
  • Consider 3rd party warranty and cost
  • Check all fluids
  • Scroll through engine info -- can see running hours, oil life, temperatures of various things, battery life, etc.
  • Also keep in mind full redesign in coming out next year including IRS replacing SRA
Good luck.

Last edited:

PG01

Supporting Member
Reaction score
First my of k2xxx body. Lotsa miles, unless you’re getting a hell of a deal i would run as fast as I could from that one bud. Def read through the section for that particular my.

16rgs

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Here are the things I'd check for off the top of my head:
  • Torque converter & buffeting -- drive at varying speeds under different accelerations. Make sure it's in V4 mode and then V8 mode (shift into Manual Gear 7 mode to hold it in V8 mode). You'll feel like you're driving over rumble strips if the TC is bad. Buffetting can feel like a one window is down or just dizziness/nausea after awhile. Both issues are well-documented here.
  • Drive in 2wd/auto/4wd hi/lo
  • Consider have third party inspection company look at it
  • Cold start, listen and look carefully
  • Brakes/rotors
  • Carfax/AutoCheck guide. Check values on KBB, NADA, Manheim or comparable if possible. Couple guys on here I've seen post values for others who were looking to buy used
  • Consider 3rd party warranty and cost
  • Check all fluids
  • Scroll through engine info -- can see running hours, oil life, temperatures of various things, battery life, etc.
  • Also keep in mind full redesign in coming out next year including IRS replacing SRA
Good luck.

GOOSe, just curios how do you " (shift into Manual Gear 7 mode to hold it in V8 mode)? I never knew this could be done. Thanks, Keith

WTSHARK

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There were two active recalls on the 15 Yukon XL, one involved the sticker id'ing the fuses in the driver's side dash fuse block. The sticker (which was probably replaced by the owner, as they were sent out to owners to do themselves), the other (and it's one I still need to bring my into the dealer for, though I've never had the issue) is the "Slow speed maneuvering issue", in which vehicles equipped with the "auto park" have had their steering fail momentarily while turning at slow speeds (parking). I would imagine you've run the vin to see what (if any) outstanding recalls are (if any) still outstanding.
I'm with others here in that's pretty high mileage, if they've been diligent in their care (with all of the paperwork to show) then maybe- but then again, mine has 11,566 miles on it-

This may help as well: https://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/owner...a.model=YUKON&searchCriteria.prod_ids=1971434

cardude2000

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There were two active recalls on the 15 Yukon XL, one involved the sticker id'ing the fuses in the driver's side dash fuse block. The sticker (which was probably replaced by the owner, as they were sent out to owners to do themselves), the other (and it's one I still need to bring my into the dealer for, though I've never had the issue) is the "Slow speed maneuvering issue", in which vehicles equipped with the "auto park" have had their steering fail momentarily while turning at slow speeds (parking). I would imagine you've run the vin to see what (if any) outstanding recalls are (if any) still outstanding.
I'm with others here in that's pretty high mileage, if they've been diligent in their care (with all of the paperwork to show) then maybe- but then again, mine has 11,566 miles on it-

This may help as well: https://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/owner...a.model=YUKON&searchCriteria.prod_ids=1971434

Auto park? I had no idea the 15’s has this. I ordered a 16 and checked every box I think and I don’t have that. Interesting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DefiantOne