13k miles, and engine failure 400 miles away from home!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TrueAt1stLight

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well it happened to me: my 2021 Yukon Denali 6.2L has what I’m 99.999% sure is lifter failure at 13,000 miles leaving me stranded in the UP of Michigan, almost 400 miles from home. I’m across the street from a Chevy/GMC dealership, thank god, and will find out my fate in the morning. For those whom have received the repair, how long was your vehicle out of service? What did GM do to “make it right” or compensate you for your troubles?

I’m in for a hotel for at least a day and god knows for what cost of car rentals… So far the “Message GMC” app seems like they’re saying they’ll reimburse me for all travel expenses. We shall see if that’s the case as well. I’m really buggered as there are no one-way car rentals and I’m likely taking a UHaul home. FML.

Tonyv__

Full Access Member
Reaction score
As for the 1 way car rental. My buddy just got stranded in Virginia from Pennsylvania on his Harley. He was in the same situation. Had to drop the rental back off in VA. But made a phone call to corporate and they allowed him to drop his rental off somewhere in PA

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well it happened to me: my 2021 Yukon Denali 6.2L has what I’m 99.999% sure is lifter failure at 13,000 miles leaving me stranded in the UP of Michigan, almost 400 miles from home. I’m across the street from a Chevy/GMC dealership, thank god, and will find out my fate in the morning. For those whom have received the repair, how long was your vehicle out of service? What did GM do to “make it right” or compensate you for your troubles?

I’m in for a hotel for at least a day and god knows for what cost of car rentals… So far the “Message GMC” app seems like they’re saying they’ll reimburse me for all travel expenses. We shall see if that’s the case as well. I’m really buggered as there are no one-way car rentals and I’m likely taking a UHaul home. FML.
Stranded? With all that good weather and fishing, what do you mean stranded? @Seapro

GM will take care of you. They'll get you a rental and make sure y'all get home ok. The car though may be tied up for 2-3 weeks or so depending on parts availability.

Micahsd

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Sorry to hear that. Just curious, what is the build date of your vehicle?

To find that out, look at the sticker inside your driver’s side door (should show month and year).

OP
OP
T

TrueAt1stLight

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sorry to hear that. Just curious, what is the build date of your vehicle?

To find that out, look at the sticker inside your driver’s side door (should show month and year).
I took delivery on Feb 15 2021 but unsure of build date. I’ll have to report back on that if I ever get my truck back.

Update: the dealer said all lifters are being replaced and a rod is bent. They’re putting the order in on parts but said it’s likely going to be a several week to one-month wait. I can’t believe this is happening…

mikeyss

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I took delivery on Feb 15 2021 but unsure of build date. I’ll have to report back on that if I ever get my truck back.

Update: the dealer said all lifters are being replaced and a rod is bent. They’re putting the order in on parts but said it’s likely going to be a several week to one-month wait. I can’t believe this is happening…
Is it a push rod bent or a connecting rod that is bent?

I'm sorry you are having problems with your new car.

OP
OP
T

TrueAt1stLight

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Is it a push rod bent or a connecting rod that is bent?

I'm sorry you are having problems with your new car.
Good question and one on which I need clarification. I’ll ask and report back the next time speak with the service advisor. One (hopefully true) shining point is GM Corporate seems to be on the ball promising full reimbursement for “Trip Interuption” coverage for all my expenses as well as rental reimbursement for the foreseeable future. I’m hesitant to believe them but hopeful nonetheless.

Thanks for your sentiments also!

Geotrash

Dave
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Sorry man - that suuuucks. I likely would've bought a new Denali this year is they were 1/ available with normal incentives, and 2/ likely to be more reliable than the 2012 and 2007 Denali's we currently have, but neither are true as of right now. I'll be watching to see how this situation continues to unfold, but your frustration is justified.

Pyramid_Head

Reaction score
Strange. My friend's 2021 Yukon Denali 6.2L gave up on him as well last month. Apparently the same problem as yours, and according to the GM shop, his transmission was defective as well! I asked him a few days ago if GM was done with his truck, but they quoted him 2 more months since everything is on back order. His truck only had 3k miles!!!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DenaliRoyal