13k miles, and engine failure 400 miles away from home!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Tayers

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Well it happened to me: my 2021 Yukon Denali 6.2L has what I’m 99.999% sure is lifter failure at 13,000 miles leaving me stranded in the UP of Michigan, almost 400 miles from home. I’m across the street from a Chevy/GMC dealership, thank god, and will find out my fate in the morning. For those whom have received the repair, how long was your vehicle out of service? What did GM do to “make it right” or compensate you for your troubles?

I’m in for a hotel for at least a day and god knows for what cost of car rentals… So far the “Message GMC” app seems like they’re saying they’ll reimburse me for all travel expenses. We shall see if that’s the case as well. I’m really buggered as there are no one-way car rentals and I’m likely taking a UHaul home. FML.
I hate to hear this. There were no rentals from Chevy when I had this issue. It took ~ 1 week to repair and they offered $40 per day towards a rental after I complained. After many calls to GM Corporate, they extended the warranty by 1 year. They only repaired one side of lifters.

OP
OP
T

TrueAt1stLight

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Seeing the length of time for repair and possible delays and additional issues, you may want to familiarize yourself with the Michigan Lemon Law:

Even better, you have Steve Letho in Michigan, Lemon Law expert,
Thanks for the feedback. I am a resident of MN and purchased my Yukon at a MN dealership. Unless I’m incorrect, I’m almost certain I would need to pursue lemon-law execution in MN and not MI. What is really concerning is if I were to go through the process to refund or replace, I have no idea if I could even order a replacement in a timely manner based on current inventory and order constrains. Also I’m concerned about dealer mark-ups (I was seeing anywhere from $5k-$10k dealer mark-up here). Fingers-crossed they fix it correctly and in a timely manner that I can just keep driving my Yukon!

Yukon2021

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I took delivery on Feb 15 2021 but unsure of build date. I’ll have to report back on that if I ever get my truck back.

Update: the dealer said all lifters are being replaced and a rod is bent. They’re putting the order in on parts but said it’s likely going to be a several week to one-month wait. I can’t believe this is happening…

Yukon2021

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Well it happened to me: my 2021 Yukon Denali 6.2L has what I’m 99.999% sure is lifter failure at 13,000 miles leaving me stranded in the UP of Michigan, almost 400 miles from home. I’m across the street from a Chevy/GMC dealership, thank god, and will find out my fate in the morning. For those whom have received the repair, how long was your vehicle out of service? What did GM do to “make it right” or compensate you for your troubles?

I’m in for a hotel for at least a day and god knows for what cost of car rentals… So far the “Message GMC” app seems like they’re saying they’ll reimburse me for all travel expenses. We shall see if that’s the case as well. I’m really buggered as there are no one-way car rentals and I’m likely taking a UHaul home. FML.
I have the same issue. Last week the dealership tried to fix it and failed. Today I was stranded for 3 hours and it had to be drug onto a flatbed tow truck and drug again off the truck to the dealership. Super irritated with this new vehicle I’ve only had it 6 months

Yukon2021

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I have the same issue. Last week the dealership tried to fix it and failed. Today I was stranded for 3 hours and it had to be drug onto a flatbed tow truck and drug again off the truck to the dealership. Super irritated with this new vehicle I’ve only had it 6 months
Which btw I had onstar pay for the tow as it’s under warranty

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PascalBlues