130k miles require valve ajustment?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Racing4funn

Reaction score
The vehicle is new to me and Im unclear on how the motor should sound but if I was standing next to any vehicle making an audible sewing machine sound Id think to myself there was something wrong with that motor. its too noticable. Trying to understand I removed the oil filter and cut it open. No shavings found.. looked great. So my only thought is a needed valve adjustment but some vehicles arent setup that way..

I did read a lengthy thread here about an acceleration ping/flutter but what Im noticing is at idle.

Last edited:

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
What year is your rig? You're posting in the 2015 + section but at 130k I'm thinking it's an older model. Also we need to know what motor you have. Sounds like lifter tick.

OP
OP
R

Racing4funn

Reaction score
Its a 2015... are the lifters adjustable or they have to be replaced?

Shaw520

Full Access Member
Reaction score
They are adjustable,.... but plenty of ppl go over 130k without adjusting,...unless your rig has lived a tough life....any way to post a video with sound ?

Kpwweb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Could also be injectors. The direct injection fuel injectors make a minor audible ticking sound when standing outside the truck. A slight tick is normal. Especially if the black plastic valve cover covers have been removed. If it is loud, like bolts in coffee can loud, it is not normal.

OP
OP
R

Racing4funn

Reaction score
No way bolts in coffee cans loud. It would take gearhead standing next to it to detect it's strange sound. quite obvious with the hood up. I will try to capture it on video.

Anyone got a link to a how to on the valve adjustment? If I knew what it needed to be the I would pull one cover and start checking. if nothing found I wpuld likly not check the other side. At lest rule that out

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
They are adjustable,.... but plenty of ppl go over 130k without adjusting,...unless your rig has lived a tough life....any way to post a video with sound ?
I thought the 2015's have hydraulic roller lifters like the earlier years and aren't adjustable? I know my 02 isn't adjustable.