12v power outlets

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

spyderrider

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
New member here with my 1st post. New to me 2004 Denali and I have a questions. Are all the 12v outlets HOT when the key is off? If so, why? Has anyone tried having them SWITCHED or rewired a few of them to KEYED OFF?

Randy Whistler

Living the dream! I'm just not sure who's dream
Reaction score
New member here with my 1st post. New to me 2004 Denali and I have a questions. Are all the 12v outlets HOT when the key is off? If so, why? Has anyone tried having them SWITCHED or rewired a few of them to KEYED OFF?
Not sure about the Denali's, but my 00 Tahoe is hot always. Not sure why, but one of the members here said there's a power block under the steering column(IIRC) that has switchable power. Hope it helps

Joseph Garcia

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Welcome to the Forum from NH.

Lots of knowledgeable folks here who freely share their knowledge, experiences, and perspectives. Knowledge is power.

I hope that you will become a participating member in the Forum's discussions.

Pics of the truck, please.

I cannot personally help you with your question; however, other members on this Forum that are much more knowledgeable than me will chime in.

Randy Whistler

Living the dream! I'm just not sure who's dream
Reaction score
OK, here's what I've found out. There is a power box under the dash, close to the firewall, left(drivers) side. I was able to find one of the pins there that goes live when the key is on in run or start. While this doesn't make the existing power outlets in the dash work, I went over to the local parts store, got an accessory 12v outlet box, and wired it in underneath the existing power outlets. Works perfectly!

Not sure what nor how on your Denali, but would guess there would be something similar under there. Hope this helps some!

ScottyBoy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Pretty much ALL GM vehicles have the cigarette lighters/power ports powered all the time, even with the key off. I switched one of mine over to be powered only when the key is on. There's a thick pink wire in the ignition switch harness, that's the main ignition wire. I spliced into that wire, added a fuse holder with a 15a fuse, and ran that to one of my power outlets in the dash. I cut the orange wire off the socket, capped it off and then connected the socket to the wire I ran from the pink ignition wire. I left the other two sockets the way they were, powered all the time.
My truck is a 2001 by the way. So I KNOW 00-02 should be the same. Other years "should" be the same, but there's always a chance GM changed wire colors.

OP
OP
S

spyderrider

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
OK, here's what I've found out. There is a power box under the dash, close to the firewall, left(drivers) side. I was able to find one of the pins there that goes live when the key is on in run or start. While this doesn't make the existing power outlets in the dash work, I went over to the local parts store, got an accessory 12v outlet box, and wired it in underneath the existing power outlets. Works perfectly!

Not sure what nor how on your Denali, but would guess there would be something similar under there. Hope this helps some!
thanks

OP
OP
S

spyderrider

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Pretty much ALL GM vehicles have the cigarette lighters/power ports powered all the time, even with the key off. I switched one of mine over to be powered only when the key is on. There's a thick pink wire in the ignition switch harness, that's the main ignition wire. I spliced into that wire, added a fuse holder with a 15a fuse, and ran that to one of my power outlets in the dash. I cut the orange wire off the socket, capped it off and then connected the socket to the wire I ran from the pink ignition wire. I left the other two sockets the way they were, powered all the time.
My truck is a 2001 by the way. So I KNOW 00-02 should be the same. Other years "should" be the same, but there's always a chance GM changed wire colors.
thanks

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mrjvieira

Latest posts