120V outlet acting weird

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ses_yukon

Reaction score
Okay, so the ultimate goal is to hook up an Apple TV to the RSE in my 2016 Yukon. I'm having an issue with the 120V outlet in the center console. For some reason it won't power up my Apple TV.

Steps so far...
1. Plugged Apple TV into center console outlet. Outlet light turns on, I hear a click but Apple TV won't power on. Plug light stays lit.
2. Plugged Apple TV into garage recepticle. Powers up just fine.
3. Plugged Apple TV cord into center console outlet. Checked voltage at end of cord that plugs into Apple TV. Getting 114V.
4. Plugged power strip with light up switch into center console outlet. Center console light turns on, stays on. Switch on power strip doesn't light, but checking a plug on the strip gives me 114V.
5. Plugged in a Ryobi 40V charger to the center console plug and it charges a 40V battery just fine.

Maybe the Apple TV is finicky? I'm just really confused because I'm getting power to and through the center console outlet but it won't power the Apple TV.

RST Dana

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Okay, so the ultimate goal is to hook up an Apple TV to the RSE in my 2016 Yukon. I'm having an issue with the 120V outlet in the center console. For some reason it won't power up my Apple TV.

Steps so far...
1. Plugged Apple TV into center console outlet. Outlet light turns on, I hear a click but Apple TV won't power on. Plug light stays lit.
2. Plugged Apple TV into garage recepticle. Powers up just fine.
3. Plugged Apple TV cord into center console outlet. Checked voltage at end of cord that plugs into Apple TV. Getting 114V.
4. Plugged power strip with light up switch into center console outlet. Center console light turns on, stays on. Switch on power strip doesn't light, but checking a plug on the strip gives me 114V.
5. Plugged in a Ryobi 40V charger to the center console plug and it charges a 40V battery just fine.

Maybe the Apple TV is finicky? I'm just really confused because I'm getting power to and through the center console outlet but it won't power the Apple TV.
Mine worked in my 16. It was a 4K Apple TV, but can’t imagine power draw is any difference between older models.

Fless

Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Have you tried plugging in another device at the same time? Maybe the Apple load isn't enough.

OP
OP
ses_yukon

ses_yukon

Reaction score
Mine worked in my 16. It was a 4K Apple TV, but can’t imagine power draw is any difference between older models.
My thoughts exactly. I have a 4K in the house. The one I'd like to put in the Yukon is the 4th gen HD version. I think it only draws like 3-4 watts when running. I can't imagine the startup draw is much more. I've got a ticket in with Apple support. We'll see what they come up with.

The only thing I can think of is if the Apple TV somehow won't start on "dirty" power. But I'm not really sure if that's a thing or not. I've been wrong like once or twice before, LOL!!!

OP
OP
ses_yukon

ses_yukon

Reaction score
Have you tried plugging in another device at the same time? Maybe the Apple load isn't enough.
Oh, didn't think about this. Might need more of a boot in the pants to get going.

OP
OP
ses_yukon

ses_yukon

Reaction score
Replying to my own thread here...don't worry, talking to myself is nothing new for me. :p

It looks like this might be an issue with the sine wave of the factory inverter. I'm an amateur here so be gentle. The factory inverter appears to produce a modified sine wave. Sensitive electronics can be a bit finicky about this type of power delivery. A pure sine wave is apparently better for those electronics. So....I might need to purchase an aftermarket inverter. Which kinda sucks.

EDIT: No idea why Dcmaynor had his work and mine isn't. Who knows. Maybe they changed supplier of inverters...dunno.

Last edited:

Bill 1960

Testing the Limits
Reaction score
Glad to see you got it figured out. I just saw this thread for the first time and as soon as I started reading my thought was MSW problems.

17Yuk

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I've had a similar issue with some devices. In my case, the inverter would click on and then a few seconds later click back off. I found that some AC adapter prongs aren't long enough. Using a very cheap power strip resolved my issue. Just mentioning it in case you'd have any luck with a different power strip inline.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
patrickleeleep