12 Escalade idatalink harness question. Apparently I ordered the wrong one?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Smrtss1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Anyone here have experience with this?

12 Escalade with NAV, DVD and BOSE and I have a Pioneer AVIC-7200 waiting to go in. In the essence of a constant time crunch due to a toddler I wired up the idatalink GM2 harness to the pioneer harness trusting that the idatalink website was correct, it was not. Now I don’t know which harness I need to mate the Maestro to the new HU. The GM2 harness is a single block terminal and I have 4 individual terminals in the back of the factory unit. No I didn’t check the back of the factory system before I wired it, yes it’s my bad but again, ZERO time to do anything with a toddler. I know I pissed money away because I already terminated the wiring harnesses and hopefully I can reflash the module if needed.

So the question is will the GM5 idatalink harness and AVGM5 work? And for anyone out there that’s done one of these what else should I be looking out for like sub outputs etc? I really don’t have any time to go chasing problems after install.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

93blkongreenpro

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My 07 Yukon uses the GM5, and it works perfectly. I have a aftermarket drop down monitor and headrest so I ran my own wires so I didnt get the video harness. I can't remember how many plugs it was.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

OP
OP
Smrtss1

Smrtss1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My 07 Yukon uses the GM5, and it works perfectly. I have a aftermarket drop down monitor and headrest so I ran my own wires so I didnt get the video harness. I can't remember how many plugs it was.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Should be 3 for the radio and 1 for the AV harness.

I hope.

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
for my 2012 Denali xl, it should be the exact same thing for your Escalade
2010-2012
uses
maestro rr
hrn-rr-gm2 (if you have the telephone icons on the steering wheel controls)
hrn-av-gm2
if you have the 2nd overhead lcd screen in the back then you need to patch the wires together on the factory harness after the av-gm2 to get both to work otherwise only the first overhead will come on.
you can easily verify/confirm on the ADS website and do a build
once you have the RR & radio you can flash from the web plug-in, you will need to keep the radio serial number handy as you have to enter it during the process
you can re-flash it as many times as you need (just have to pull it out and unplug everything, it wont flash with things plugged in unfortunately)
on the pioneer's you use the aux input on the back of the radio for the audio portion of the RR, versus kenwood/alpine have a dedicated port for the RR

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
i just ran it thru the build it uses the gm2 & avgm2 regardless of the steering wheel icons, it will make a difference when flashing it though so be sure to select the correct steering wheel

OP
OP
Smrtss1

Smrtss1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
GM2 harness is what I have and it will not work. The GM2 is a single block terminal whereas the GM5 is 3 smaller terminals (+1 separate for the AV input).

There’s no way to make this.
f30fc34b16d78d8ba0fdad7e84e50e15.jpg

Plug into this.
ed71c7d3b9851fbe223004ddffc3f9c9.jpg

I appreciate the help but I went thru the idatalink website website to confirm before I ordered and it said I needed the GM2. After realizing its wrong and checking their forum there’s a post that says the GM2 will not work, that the site is wrong and the GM5 and AVGM5 should work.

Apparently there are different NAV units in the same model years that all do the same things but are setup differently and the only way to find out is to take the factory radio out which is something I’ve never had to do before.

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
GM2 harness is what I have and it will not work. The GM2 is a single block terminal whereas the GM5 is 3 smaller terminals (+1 separate for the AV input).

There’s no way to make this.
f30fc34b16d78d8ba0fdad7e84e50e15.jpg

Plug into this.
ed71c7d3b9851fbe223004ddffc3f9c9.jpg

I appreciate the help but I went thru the idatalink website website to confirm before I ordered and it said I needed the GM2. After realizing its wrong and checking their forum there’s a post that says the GM2 will not work, that the site is wrong and the GM5 and AVGM5 should work.

Apparently there are different NAV units in the same model years that all do the same things but are setup differently and the only way to find out is to take the factory radio out which is something I’ve never had to do before.

thats wierd almost looks like you pulled out the wrong thing, lol
this is my old factory radio

factory.jpg

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
THAT it will work in!!

Need an extra GM2 harness? Only slightly trimmed wiring. LOL

ha, no sure don't, slap it on ebay for a few bucks less than the others at least you will get some of your money back.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GeorgeC