118k Miles...transmission gone...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

adventurenali92

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The transmission in my 2006 went out at 86k because the previous owner beat the crap out of it. Most people don’t don’t take care of their transmissions very well and if by properly maintained, like everything else it will fail sooner than later. Unfortunately chevys aren’t know for overly great transmissions. Once they’re rebuilt they’re bulletproof though. I had mine rebuilt and at almost 115k it’s been great. No major problems.

Charles Land

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Well, that's the short version. So, we bought one of the first of the current gen Yukon XL to arrive on the dealer lot in my city in May 2014. It's an SLT 4wd with tow package. The only previous transmission issue we had was about a year or two ago, a/the solenoid for shifting in/out of 4wd went out and stuck us in 4 low. I didn't fool around with that and had it towed to the dealer (on a trailer).

Flash forward to a week ago last night, my wife tells me she felt a little hesitation in 1st while she was out of town on a weekend trip. Seemed minor. The next day, she calls me upset telling me she thinks her car is about to break down and she almost hit someone because she's pressing the gas and nothing happens then the car takes off. I didn't even think slipping transmission. I thought it might have been one of the "hesitation issues" I've seen discussed on here and other places. So, I had her take it to the dealer that evening. The dealer waits 3 days then calls me late Friday afternoon that I need a new transmission to the tune of $4,400. Said "the torque converter went out and there's metal everywhere and it's lodged the valves open." I didn't know what to think and I wasn't going to tow it somewhere else for a second opinion. The next day was Saturday so we briefly looked at new Yukons before I told her I wasn't paying that much for another Yukon when the transmission went out that quickly or at least the dealer was going to try to fleece us for one.

It just doesn't make sense. I've driven a ton of Chevys for work trucks over the years and never had a transmission issue. Then I throw down over $65k on this beast for the wife and this #%$& happens. I've only towed with the thing 3 times over 4 years. Thought we were gonna get a boat but...we didn't.

Charles Land

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
We've driven Suburbans for 30 years. Planned on a Tranny overhaul every 100k to 150k miles. Last one is our 2011 Denali AWD. Cost us $2600 - not at a dealer. Guess I ought to wake up and see if Ford's do any better.

OP
OP
B

bkrell

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Well, this was our first Sub/Yukon XL. I guess if I had known and been prepared for the possibility... But it had been otherwise trouble-free car. And went from zero issues to hardly drivable in 3 days. That's the part that gets me.

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Every new generation of tranny has its issues just like other parts. But especially tranny’s. That’s why it’s best to wait until the 2nd-3rd year of a new model so they get the bugs worked out.

bladenbullet

Reaction score
They should have protected valves downstream of it.

the failure was beyond the filter...fluid flows from the converter to other parts of the transmission before returning to the pan...metal in the oil stream gets into a lot of things wish it wouldnt...once it gets to the pan the filter keeps it from going back in but the damage is already done...

Nashoba

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Am now 71 and been driving GM products since I was 16. Have had MANY SUV types from K5s to the latest, our 2008 Hybrid Tahoe. Have had only one tranny go out in all that time and it was in a 1985 K5 that I bought used with 58,000 on it back in 1997. Cost about $350 to rebuild it. Keep them serviced and drive them right and they last for ever, at least for us.

fasttruck9

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
My 2012 hoe blew the trans at 124,000 and 3 months out of warranty. Towed to 1st. State Chevy dealer $3900.00 later for reman trans. It took them 6 weeks to replace trans, talk about lower slower Delaware.
Ten months and 7000 miles later, you guessed it trans went again. I don't tow and am an adult driver. There was a three year warranty. So after testing etc and another six weeks I have another trans. Hope this one lasts for a long time.

JLBrooks

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Just had mine replaced in my 11 Nali at 161000. Got a reman online for 2100 plus 625 to install. Has 3 year, US wide, unlimited milage warranty. Previous owners probably started feeling issues, and instead of fixing just traded it in. Local dealer wanted $4500 plus installation.

GTNator

Supporting Member
Reaction score
It took them 3 days to figure it out so I don't doubt there being a misdiagnosis. We went and bought a new VW Atlas and the VW dealer agreed to take the Yukon XL on trade sight unseen. They're picking it up from the GMC dealer today.

VW must have really wanted the sale. What did they say?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GeorgeC