10 psi when warm

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Buggdave

Full Access Member
Reaction score
@JohnnyA, I am no means an expert on transmissions. For me to go to a 4l80 was way more work than to rebuilt my 60/65 to handle the power of my build (~500hp/500tq). From my understanding, both transmissions have flaws that need to be addressed in a rebuild. As was pointed out, the 60/65 is a lighter duty transmission from the factory. There are after market parts to make the transmission handle 800+ hp. There are even companies who will build one for you, like Performabuilt. For my project, having to buy the custom input shaft for my NV149 transfer case, custom drive shaft, repinning the wiring harness, fabricating the new transmission cross member, was more work that I wanted to deal with and in my opinion was not the right answer for me. The 60/65 will never be as strong as an 80, but ultimately, I did not think i needed the 80 just like the 6.0 engine will never produce low rpm torque as good as a diesel but i did not want to do a diesel swap in this rig either.

Last edited:

RAMurphy

Bob
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You are so right about the 4l80. When I had my 60 tranny rebuilt by a guy that I trust completely (30+ years in the business) he stated that he built this thing to the best of his abilities with the best upgraded components on the market. He stated and I quote "if you blow this thing up, we are putting an upgraded 4l80 in it". I push my vehicle very hard. Two years (20k miles) later and no issues. I might also mention my wife and I camp all the time in our our camper. So we tow all the time.

OP
OP
J

JohnnyA

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Thank you all very much. I will look into the transmission build company. RAMurphy does your tranny guy have a number or company name? I would love to talk to him. I was calling around to day looking for the right cam to put in the truck for towing. I'm even willing to put in a torque converter. Any ideas gentlemen? Thanks you guys...

OP
OP
J

JohnnyA

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
This is what the oil pressure looks like under load

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220819-200035_Torque.jpg
    Screenshot_20220819-200035_Torque.jpg
    134.3 KB · Views: 4
  • Screenshot_20220819-200108_Torque.jpg
    Screenshot_20220819-200108_Torque.jpg
    135.8 KB · Views: 4
  • Screenshot_20220819-200137_Torque.jpg
    Screenshot_20220819-200137_Torque.jpg
    136.7 KB · Views: 4

RAMurphy

Bob
Supporting Member
Reaction score
@JohnnyA So I live in Southern Maryland and the person I had rebuild my transmission is Dave Parks and he owns and operates an Automotive repair shop called Hollywood Transmissions (240-397-1554). He personally does all the transmission rebuilds and provides both pictures and videos as he is rebuilding the transmission. Unfortunately he does not do ship outs. He may answer any questions you have though.

Last edited:

SnowDrifter

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Washington. The desert side not the Starbucks side
This is what the oil pressure looks like under load
Yeah that is very not ok
The behavior of it.... Closer to a linear increase at low rpm. Logarithmic when higher.
If the bearings were blown but all else was OK, I would expect a +/- linear increase up to the oil pump bypass valve opening.

hmm.....
I want to verify where you placed the mechanical gauge in this system? And what your config for reading oil pressure is on torque