10 ply tires on the Burb. Your thoughts?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TARFU

TYF Newbie
Reaction score

wjburken

Supporting Member
Reaction score
There are a number of folks on here that run 10ply on their rides. As Dan stated, the ride will be stiffer, but other than that, no issues that I’d be concerned with.

drakon543

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i used to run 10 ply on a 1500 ram. was great when i was going to have it loaded but was terrible unloaded if i forgot to air the tires back dowm.

Bill 1960

Testing the Limits
Reaction score
I put those on my F150 a few years back and the ride was noticeably harsher. I do a lot of riding on rough surfaces and didn’t like them.

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
I have had 10 ply on rigs of mine over the years. It is a trade off. The sidewalls are stiffer for load handling and when unloaded you will feel the difference. When cornering at higher speeds the sidewalls are not very forgiving. You can combat that by airing down but that also can be a PITA because eventually you need to air up again for a load. Handling under a load is better because of all the things I just pointed out. If you can deal with the trade off, go for it.

intheburbs

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I ran 10-ply on my 2001 Suburban. Frankly, did not notice a difference in ride. I did it primarily because I was towing travel trailers - 5000-7000 lbs. When not towing, I ran them at 35 PSI. When towing, I increased the fronts to 40 and the rears to 50. I also liked having the thicker/reinforced sidewall. I'm not a hardcore four wheeler, but would do some offroad play in Utah, Colorado, Arizona, etc, and I liked the extra safety margin and not worrying as much about rocks and whatnot.

Sparksalot

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have 10 ply tires on one of mine, mainly for allowing reduces pressures when on washboard dirt roads. I really haven’t noticed much difference. My wife swears it rides better than when I had the pursuit tires.

OP
OP
TARFU

TARFU

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Thanks for all the input on this question. Today, my 19 yr old daughter and I hooked the horse trailer to the Suburban to try it out for the first time. The Suburban drove just as smooth as it always does with the trailer behind it. A clear difference from the trailer beast of a 2016 Ram 3500 we'd just traded in. I think for the time being I'll just run it with the Michelin SUV tires it came with.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
firedog9518