1 in lift question.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
S1W99

S1W99

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Have you tried going to www.Chevrolet.com and clicking on the chat button that shows up in the bottom left and ask for the list of RPO options for your vehicle if you provide your VIN. They have provided the info there in the past for me. Might be worth a shot.
Thank you sir. I'll give it a try.

OP
OP
S1W99

S1W99

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Another member posted this in another thread: https://chevroletforum.com/forum/vindecoder.php
This works. I got a full sheet, four pages and a PDF of detailed information on my car. At this point I'm thinking of buying actual OEM from the dealer front struts because I'm not sure I'll save that much money if I get it wrong and have to have a second or third installation.

bobsburban

Reaction score
This works. I got a full sheet, four pages and a PDF of detailed information on my car. At this point I'm thinking of buying actual OEM from the dealer front struts because I'm not sure I'll save that much money if I get it wrong and have to have a second or third installation.

I got an inch to an inch and a half of lift by going with Bilstein 5100s and setting the front coils on the first perch up from bottom. That leveled things out after putting the stiffer Moog springs on the rear, where I also used 5100s. Nothing else. 5100s might be your ticket. I put 4600s on an old S-10 ZR-2 a couple of years ago and thought they were okay but I like the 5100s better. Of course, a Suburban has a bit more heft... :)

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score

I actually ran my VIN just to test it. Was not disappointed.

As for softer struts, all I can think of is to get reviews on the actual Premium Smooth Ride struts, the Bilstein 4600 and 5100 struts and any other good aftermarket ones like Monroe or KYB. (NOT the Excel G from KYB- They're JUNK!)

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Can I ask you a question? I got the Mevotech front suspension kit and lca's Acdelco high-end struts and 4600 bilstein rear shocks. '12 LT.

I'm really disappointed in the ride. It's a bit stiffer which is great but it's not smoother over bumps. Seems like the springs still bounce when I thought they would dampen down bumps and portholes. Not sure what else I can do.

Thoughts?

What do you mean by ACDelco high end struts? Were they pre-assembled units or built from scratch with all individual parts?

Your front strut codes are the 6XX and 7XX numbers on your RPO sheet.

OP
OP
S1W99

S1W99

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What do you mean by ACDelco high end struts? Were they pre-assembled units or built from scratch with all individual parts?

Your front strut codes are the 6XX and 7XX numbers on your RPO sheet.
Thank you for responding @swathdiver,

What I meant by "high end struts" is that they were OE, not cheaper makes. Not sure about the pre-assembled question. Ordered from RockAuto.

I just called three GM dealers to confirm the part #'s by VIN:

The suspension is: Zw7 GM part #: 20955486
I installed ACDelco: Front -540615 Bilstein: Rear -24186933

The parts guy said the ACDelco part I installed is the exact same OEM part he has.

I'm amazed that I have what they are calling: "Suspension Package, Premium Smooth Ride".

It's not "smooth" over any kind of bump.

OP
OP
S1W99

S1W99

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Is it possible to put on a strut from a newer model Tahoe? Would it maker it a softer ride?
Just thinking out to loud.

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thank you for responding @swathdiver,

What I meant by "high end struts" is that they were OE, not cheaper makes. Not sure about the pre-assembled question. Ordered from RockAuto.

I just called three GM dealers to confirm the part #'s by VIN:

The suspension is: Zw7 GM part #: 20955486
I installed ACDelco: Front -540615 Bilstein: Rear -24186933

The parts guy said the ACDelco part I installed is the exact same OEM part he has.

I'm amazed that I have what they are calling: "Suspension Package, Premium Smooth Ride".

It's not "smooth" over any kind of bump.
So the only part that was changed in the front strut assembly was the shock/strut? None of the other parts were replaced, not even the bump stops? Who did the work? There are more questions that when answered will help me find out what's going on.

OP
OP
S1W99

S1W99

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I replaced all the front end parts, or most. I put in a Mevotech suspension kit and lca's. Only shocks on the rear.

I didn't change the springs or the bump stops.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GeorgeC