09 yukon 2 in rear lowering - shock relocation?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

FasterBass

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hi All,

Recently picked up an 09 Yukon slt 2 4wd. Just replaced front struts with a prepacked kyb assembly from rockauto which rides great. Now to do the rear. I want to level the truck down to the front height- if i do a 2 in drop spring can I still run oem length shocks and if so, do i need to run a shock relocation bracket? Anything else id need to do in order to run the 2 in drop spring? Id like to have f/rear shocks matched ideally. Thanks!

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hi All,

Recently picked up an 09 Yukon slt 2 4wd. Just replaced front struts with a prepacked kyb assembly from rockauto which rides great. Now to do the rear. I want to level the truck down to the front height- if i do a 2 in drop spring can I still run oem length shocks and if so, do i need to run a shock relocation bracket? Anything else id need to do in order to run the 2 in drop spring? Id like to have f/rear shocks matched ideally. Thanks!

While extenders might not be 100% necessary, they're cheap insurance. It just too easy to bolt on the extenders and maintain your stock range of motion so you'll never have to wonder how close you are to bottoming out the shocks.

The only other thing I can think of is you might wanna trim the bump stop down a little. You can drive on it for about a week to let everything settle and see if you hit the bump stop too hard. If so, slice off an inch or so.

OP
OP
F

FasterBass

Full Access Member
Reaction score
While extenders might not be 100% necessary, they're cheap insurance. It just too easy to bolt on the extenders and maintain your stock range of motion so you'll never have to wonder how close you are to bottoming out the shocks.

The only other thing I can think of is you might wanna trim the bump stop down a little. You can drive on it for about a week to let everything settle and see if you hit the bump stop too hard. If so, slice off an inch or so.
Hey thanks for the feedback! I talked to belltech customer support and they echoed your comments. I went ahead and ordered belltech 2in lowering springs and the relocation brackets, using kyb monomax rear shocks and also got new swaybar links (not offset). Should get everything Tuesday and once in ill report back/share some pics.

89Suburban

Bull in the china shop
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hey thanks for the feedback! I talked to belltech customer support and they echoed your comments. I went ahead and ordered belltech 2in lowering springs and the relocation brackets, using kyb monomax rear shocks and also got new swaybar links (not offset). Should get everything Tuesday and once in ill report back/share some pics.
Can't wait to see!!

OP
OP
F

FasterBass

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Apologies for the delay here and excuse the extremely dirty truck. Waiting on a replacement front bumper before I get it detailed.

I ended up with the Belltech 2in springs Item # 5321, and rear shock extensions Item #6651. Used KYB monomax rear shocks. The rear is definitely firmer than the front. So much so I would consider going with a more aggressive front spring to compensate, because I like how the rear feels significantly more than the front. Keep in mind I'm coming from the BMW world, so my goal with this truck is to head in that direction ride/handling wise. Obviously wheels/tires are next.

My only issue is that the drivers front sits about 3/4 inch higher than the rear and the pass is ~1/2in higher, which I will help a bit by stacking spring pads. I've read that the KYB Monomax spring/strut assemblies take some time to settle. Since the suspension is all new on all 4 corners (springs, shocks and swaybar mounts), this may still change a bit so I'll put a couple hundred miles on it before adding any pads to see if the front settles some. Overall very pleased with the result!

IMG_0990.jpg
IMG_0991.jpg
IMG_0996.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_0992.jpg
    IMG_0992.jpg
    301.5 KB · Views: 4
  • IMG_0993.jpg
    IMG_0993.jpg
    264.9 KB · Views: 5
OP
OP
F

FasterBass

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Forgot to mention @iamdub that Belltech provided a new bumpstop that was approx 1.5in shorter than stock, which I did install. Only been for a short drive so far, have to get some mileage on it to see how the rear responds, but so far it rides firm/great.

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Forgot to mention @iamdub that Belltech provided a new bumpstop that was approx 1.5in shorter than stock, which I did install. Only been for a short drive so far, have to get some mileage on it to see how the rear responds, but so far it rides firm/great.

I forgot about their shorter bump stops. You pretty much covered everything you'd need. Looking forward to the update after you get it well broken-in and settled.

89Suburban

Bull in the china shop
Supporting Member
Reaction score
How are the bump stops mounted on the 07-14’s? I can’t find any videos on it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Icyagent