09 Tahoe - Wireless Headphones only plays on right side

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
Just Fishing

Just Fishing

Can't fix stupid
Reaction score
I found another adapter cable in my pile o wires (I'm a hoarder), and gave it a try.
No change
Also switching the rca ends resulted in no change.
Audio only comes out of the right side no matter what...

Unless of course, i keep the connectors only partially connected, then stereo!

OP
OP
Just Fishing

Just Fishing

Can't fix stupid
Reaction score
So playing around with it more, i noticed that the right side is much louder if fully plugged in, so now i'm going with that one of the sides is not wired correctly.
I pulled the little adapter out, had a bundle of wires all taped together.
Found another set of RCA's attached to it...
So now i suppose, i need to thumb through a wiring diagram to see what's where.

OP
OP
Just Fishing

Just Fishing

Can't fix stupid
Reaction score
Well i decided to plug the harness back in and try swapping RCA's, hooked it up just like it was...
But i forgot to reconnect a ground wire that it had going to the most retarded ground location i have ever seen.

The ground was one of those insert connectors, you know the type that rattle. :rolleyes:
I was planning on clamping it to a better location but forgot...

So I'm thinking the ground was the problem, so i try pushing it onto a grounding location and 0 change.
I still have stereo, nice and loud.
I have no idea wth, either way I'm calling this a win... :beer:

:hat:

OP
OP
Just Fishing

Just Fishing

Can't fix stupid
Reaction score
well i decided i couldn't stand the rats nest of crimps, and cut each wire, crimped, soldered, and shrink wrapped with some marine grade stuff.
Topped it off by wrapping the wires with that same felt tape that i see on the factory wiring harness.

Decided to test it once more, and the same issue came back!

Did tested the wires, and finally pulled the connector apart, and swapped the "input RCA's with the "To rear audio/video"
same issue.
took the other wires i removed and put them into the connectors.

Stereo!

so i widened the pin connectors to make a better connection, and soldered the pins to the wires while it was apart...
Rosin also has a cleaning effect, so i figured why not.

All back together, and back to stereo headphones!

While working on the unit i would hear a click here and there come through the headset and the sound would go off.

Sat in the back after it was all wired back up, and watched the red infrared type of LED's click off when it happens.
I can turn the truck off and back on again, and it will work for a few more minutes.

yay! lol

Only difference is i took the ground wire that went to that terrible ground and gave it it's own little connector in the harness.
No change if connected or not, so i doubt it's the issue.

So tomorrow, i'll break out the tech2 and see if i can pick anything up.

OP
OP
Just Fishing

Just Fishing

Can't fix stupid
Reaction score
I also found out that the remote for the rear screen appears to be PN: "20929305"
I found one on ebay for about $30 shipped, so i placed the order.

I also found that i can replace what appears to be the module for the wireless audio, i don't see a listing for it on gm parts direct, but i can find it on ebay...

Also, while i'm digging into this, does anyone know if the lcd screen should shut off when closed?
I'm wondering if i have a broken switch or something.

OP
OP
Just Fishing

Just Fishing

Can't fix stupid
Reaction score
So nothing on the tech 2
good chance i may need to hook up the factory radio in order to get a good scan.
I do have it, hopefully it works.. lol

For now, i think i'm going to go ahead and order the rf module for the headsets to see if that does it.

If not, then i'll probably try the factory radio.

OP
OP
Just Fishing

Just Fishing

Can't fix stupid
Reaction score
Well i replaced the little wireless headset module a few days ago in the overhead monitor housing...

Maybe slightly better, full stereo, never changes.

But it does fail after a few minutes of playing, clicks and i can see the lights turn off on the RF transmitter..
Came back on after a few seconds, and then turned off and stayed off after another minute.

I also tried the remote i bought, it did absolutely nothing!

so it looks like the next step will be to put the factory radio back in to see if the tech2 can pick anything up.
but that's on the "later" list for now...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
firedog9518

Latest posts