09 Tahoe why don't I see my RPO codes on RockAuto's site - suspension redo

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

PatDTN

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've decided to bite the bullet and redo the suspension on my '09 Tahoe LTZ. I went to RockAuto and started looking at shocks.

I went down and took a picture of the RPO codes for my truck;
Tahoe Build codes.jpg

As near as I can tell my front suspension codes are 6H3 and 7H3. Nowhere in the list of available shocks does H3 appear at all. H2 and H4 are both there. I see the Z55 but if I'm choosing ACDelco (which I much prefer) the rear suspension says it's for RWD. I can see where that's not likely to be different from what I need for the rear of my 4WD Tahoe so that's okay.

My shocks at all four corners appear to be original at 225k miles. The rear air sleeves are shredded, I think the air compressor I put on 5 years ago probably fried itself trying to raise the rear.

Given that I want ACDelco for all the stuff I can does anybody know what to choose?

Thanks.

OP
OP
PatDTN

PatDTN

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Your front shocks are 580-431 and RA has them.

Your rear shocks are 580-1090 and Amazon has 1 and ebay and summit racing has more.

Plug your VIN in here to verify:

Awesome utility! Thanks. I'll look through this stuff but it appears to give me different part numbers and RPO codes. I'll sort this out now. Again, thanks!

OP
OP
PatDTN

PatDTN

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks to the help I got I ordered all four corners and a compressor from RA. After discount about $1350.00 Looking forward to seeing how this truck should ride and worried that I'll wish I bought springs too.

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks to the help I got I ordered all four corners and a compressor from RA. After discount about $1350.00 Looking forward to seeing how this truck should ride and worried that I'll wish I bought springs too.
Get the springs and all the pieces to rebuilt the front struts. Visually, we can see that the front came up with the new springs but am waiting to finish installing the rear springs and let them settle before taking measurements. Last time we towed, she was sagging a bit with a light load. Front bump stops are inside the struts, the rears in the usual place and we are replacing them too, they were all crumbling.

OP
OP
PatDTN

PatDTN

Full Access Member
Reaction score
>sigh< Yeah, I need to get the springs. The aluminum 6.2 is probably 130 lbs lighter than the stock 5.3 BUT I'm hoping to find an appropriate GMT900 Silverado (or Sierra) that I can swap motors with so that the pickup (shooting for an extended cab but not crew and long bed 4x4) gets the 6.2 and in the process I can ditch the LS9 cam for something that produces some torque.

All that to say I'm ordering the stock 5.3 springs.

OP
OP
PatDTN

PatDTN

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I should title this "Mistakes Were Made" while replacing my shocks and springs.

I thought I'd done my research and had all my ducks in a row. I ordered shocks and springs from RockAuto. (Should have ordered the insulators.) I found One piece strut spring compressor
at my local autozone and rented it. I had everything in hand ready.

On the given day I jacked up my Tahoe and settled the front onto some sturdy jack stands. I wanted to hurry because I was getting Service Suspension warnings and had looked under my tahoe and saw my rear shocks. I decided to start with the fronts because they were the most likely to cause me trouble. I pulled the strut out of the right front and fought to get the spring compressor in place. It wouldn't span but about 3 coils and I started cranking it down. When it wasn't going to go any farther I thought it was enough. I quickly found that my box wrenches weren't going to get much grip. Okay, I'll use my impact wrench with a socket since I don't care if I damage these old shocks. I'll work something out to get it back together. I put my impact onto it (1/2" drive Kobalt battery powered unit because my 60 gallon compressor is down and I couldn't use the air gun) and bumped the trigger a few times. Oh did it come apart. Not the nut on the top but the threaded shaft down inside the shock. Since the spring wasn't actually compressed enough that was ejected quickly along with a river of oil. Maybe I should have grabbed a magnet to pick that up???

Well at least it's apart. I fought the spring compressor off the spring and then fought to get it onto the new spring. Same 3 coil span. Hm. I started running that down and though the nut on the compressor was still turning it appeared my spring was getting longer. That's when I realized the compressor was bending over backwards. Oh yay! That meant that one end was flared out too much to get the spring off that way and the other was compressed. I reversed the gun to release. Ah. The bend is permanent, the flare is permanent, the spring isn't going to come out of there easily. On to my trusty 35 year old Harbor Freight hydraulic press. I managed to squash something enough to pry the spring loose. Then I laid the new spring next to the old spring and realized they were different and the new one was both longer and much more stout. 20210730_141020.jpg Well dang. I need to put something back together so I reused the spring. Using the press to compress the spring and get things back together and tried to reinstall. Okay, lesson XX. Those 3 bolts on the top of the strut aren't an equilateral triangle - it only goes in one way. When I rotate it the right way now the bottom of the strut won't line up. Using various tools I rotated the bottom to line up and bolted it in. I finished putting it all back together.

Next the left side. It should be noted that copious amounts of penetrating oil have been applied to all the fasteners. I undid the 3 nuts on top of the strut and because my battery powered impact gun is both heavy and too unruly to use I grabbed a 3/8" ratchet and went to undo the bottom bolts. I locked onto the first bolt and started pushing when I slipped off. I thought. Instead the head of that bolt snapped off before I even started applying pressure. 20210803_194105.jpg Well, no problem. There's two of those bolts holding, oh, the bottom of the front strut on which the weight of the vehicle rests. Happily the second one fought some but came out. Time to start on this one. With lessons from the right side still fresh in my mind I tried hard to do this one right. I knew from the start that I would need a different spring compressor so I borrowed the wife's car and took my strut and new shock along. The idea was to find a shop that would do it for me. No such luck on Saturday. I picked up a different spring compressor from O'Reilly Auto Parts and headed home.

More to come.

OP
OP
PatDTN

PatDTN

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I didn't buy a new wrench to use on the top strut nut. I decided before I tried compressing things I'd break that nut loose and back it out to the end of the threads. First lots of penetrating oil. Then I put my 18mm box wrench onto the top edge of the nut. Then I put a large crescent wrench onto the flats of the shaft to avoid the issues with the right side. I started turning the nut. Well I _tried_. It was pretty well frozen. I worked on it and worked on it. I thought about heat but it's surrounded by rubber parts I wanted to keep. Next up was to get vice grips onto that smooth polished hardened shaft down within the spring. I clamped them as hard as possible, grabbed the big impact gun and an impact socket and gave it a shot. As expected there was NO grip to be had there. I gave up and figured I'd just let it come apart like the first one. Of course I clamped down the spring and knew it was far enough first. I hit the nut with the impact. I hit it again. And again. And again... Okay, that whole shaft just spins internally and won't come apart like the first one.

Frustration is building rapidly so I tucked the rubber boot up inside itself inside the spring to keep it safe. I cut a piece of 1/8" steel plate to slide through the spring and shield the rubber parts. (I hear you wondering why.) then I set it up on my hydraulic press and compressed the spring some. Next I grabbed the torch intent on cutting the shaft. Things were going great until heat transferred neatly down the shaft and boiled the oil in the shock which promptly erupted out the top into the flame. Of course oil burns vigorously so I quickly had a geyser of flame in my press inside my garage. Score one for the heat shield as nothing caught fire above the shock. Knowing it wasn't going to work I grabbed a sawzall and metal blade. It cut right through. !!! Okay, I released the pressure slowly until the spring topped out my press. Um. Forgot to plan for the full expansion of the spring. If you're counting mistakes you're sitting there barefoot by now. Using a chunk of 2x4 I beat the press plates out from under the strut. Still very firmly in there. However I now had room to get the new spring compressor sides in and pull it down.

20210803_194045.jpg

That's the rear shocks and the now chopped left front strut complete with the easily snapped off bottom bolt.

I still wanted parts from the top of the strut so I clamped the now accessible shaft in my large vice and grabbed the impact to spin that nut off the top. Yeah, that polished hardened shaft was too slick for my vice and the shaft just spun. Thinking (overthinking) the problem I grabbed my MIG welder and laid a bead down opposite sides of the shaft and the vice could hold those. That got the nut off. Why I didn't instead grab a grinder and make flats on the shaft I don't know. Probably a vague memory that the grinder couldn't reach through the spring to cut the shaft. That's my story on that and I'm going to stick to it. I reassembled the strut and went to put it back on the truck. Only I somehow got confused on which way the angle on the bottom needed to go and got it wrong. Back to the spring compressor to pull it down so I could spin the shock. Oh and while I was working on that strut I realized I had put a spacer on the wrong side of the top plate on the first side. >sigh< I didn't want to trust that that way so after getting the left side back together I took the right side apart again.

The bonus is I'm good at taking these apart and putting them back together. Bummer that RA is out of stock on my front springs but when I can get them I'll be taking them back apart. I'll explain why later.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
staffie