09 Escalade Rear Suspension

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BAWLin in WI

Reaction score
I've got an 09 Escalade and shortly after I bought it last winter I kept getting Service Suspension System message. I still get it today. Noticed after some time when I started using it to pull loads that the back suspension wasn't engaging and filling the bags. Now it seems something has gotten even worse (sagging) and a hollow clunk or rattling sound from the rear end when hitting any kind of bump.

My thought is to just yank that air suspension out and go (heavy duty) standard. I have no idea what is needed to do this. I would like a little lift if possible if i do this as well. I run bigger aggressive tires half the year for snow.

Can anyone guide me into what's needed or what you've used to do this on yours (pics ?).

Also noticed something looks sheared off in the rear I am thinking maybe a exhaust bracket (pic).

Thanks for any input.252622f7f62f39c8e94acd69bb483c9e.jpg77e9a9a0dc325cb4346adfb6113de5db.jpg

Sent from my LGUS997 using Tapatalk

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
rear air ride shock bl;adders are probably blown and/or the air pump is shot, have you looked at the shocks? does the air pump come on when you turn the key to run?

OP
OP
BAWLin in WI

BAWLin in WI

Reaction score
Air pumps never came on ever. Once I started noticing the ride height not going up under load I took a look. One of them looks like this. (Pic)beb12a929b477473d9e7a12ab74eb691.jpg

kbuskill

***CAUTION*** I do my own stunts!
Reaction score
That bracket in your picture is the remnants of a heat shield that goes between the exhaust and your spare tire.

If you want to get rid of the "auto leveling" you can swap out the rear springs with ones from a non-auto ride truck... if you want to gain a little more lift, opt for the Z71 springs.

Personally I like the auto leveling because it automatically adjusts to whatever you throw at it.

You could probably rebuild your auto leveling system for less than $600 including new shocks and compressor... maybe less if you shop around.

iras1976

Reaction score
I've got an 09 Escalade and shortly after I bought it last winter I kept getting Service Suspension System message. I still get it today. Noticed after some time when I started using it to pull loads that the back suspension wasn't engaging and filling the bags. Now it seems something has gotten even worse (sagging) and a hollow clunk or rattling sound from the rear end when hitting any kind of bump.

My thought is to just yank that air suspension out and go (heavy duty) standard. I have no idea what is needed to do this. I would like a little lift if possible if i do this as well. I run bigger aggressive tires half the year for snow.

Can anyone guide me into what's needed or what you've used to do this on yours (pics ?).

Also noticed something looks sheared off in the rear I am thinking maybe a exhaust bracket (pic).

Thanks for any input.252622f7f62f39c8e94acd69bb483c9e.jpg77e9a9a0dc325cb4346adfb6113de5db.jpg

I would convert to a standard suspension because Even if you repair it something else will happen down-the-line. Just treat yourself to a 2" lift or at least a level with new springs and shocks all the way around.

Bilstein B3 springs
Bilstein 5100 series shocks/struts

Check here
https://www.4wheelparts.com/

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
both the dorman air pump and arnott air pump are lifetime warranty (if you buy from a authorized dealer like rockauto)
the rear arnott air ride shocks are lifetime also at least from rockauto they are

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Air pumps never came on and if they did they would likely blow the bladders with all the cracks in that pic. You are in Wisconsin and likely deal with salt on the roads. That creates havoc. I would like the leveling system when it works but maybe in your case you want to be a little higher in the rear so switch over as suggested. It would depend on how big your loads are as to whether the switch would still give you a decent ride height. If you want to stay with the air suspension I would think, I don't know for sure, that the leveling sensor could be adjusted to set a new normal ride height but if you do then align the front end. If you switch the rear suspension you should align as well.

OP
OP
BAWLin in WI

BAWLin in WI

Reaction score
I think I definitely am leaning towards switching the rear to a standard suspension. I don't know enough at all about air ride to feel confident in tracking down and fixing any future problems. I mostly only tow a 12' utility trailer with a UTV several times a year. I hope that would be alright with a standard (heavier duty) suspension. A little lift or leveling kit would be nice, although right now as is (rear sagging) the front already sits noticeably higher than the rear.

wjburken

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Personally I like the auto leveling because it automatically adjusts to whatever you throw at it.

You could probably rebuild your auto leveling system for less than $600 including new shocks and compressor... maybe less if you shop around.

I’m with Ken in this. I like the auto level system on my vehicles. Yes, I have had to replace a couple compressors and rear shocks over the course of owning 4 of these vehicles, but I don’t see it as a major cost or hassle of ownership. As with anything, it is up to personal preference.

mikeyss

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If it were me, I'd replace with factory stuff. Once you go standard suspension, you will need resistors where the old shocks were so that you don't get error messages on the dash. There isn't too much to go wrong in these systems, and when there is an issue, usually a code will be set. The system has lasted this long, replacing it with factory stuff will net you another 8-10 years. I drove my Tahoe for a week with Z55 removed from the front a (broke a electronic shock and couldn't get a replacement on the weekend) and I HATED it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fitransmission