09 engine swap

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Cajunboy

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I have an 09 5.3 that the lifter started ticking. Well I parked the truck as soon as it started. I bought another 5.3 from a buddy to put in truck. Is there a way I can delete the AFM from the new engine without spending the 800-1000 or more for the kit.

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have an 09 5.3 that the lifter started ticking. Well I parked the truck as soon as it started. I bought another 5.3 from a buddy to put in truck. Is there a way I can delete the AFM from the new engine without spending the 800-1000 or more for the kit.

Why replace an entire engine over a ticking lifter?

To physically delete AFM, you have to pull the heads to replace the lifter trays and lifters and the camshaft. Head gaskets and head bolts must be new. You can buy an L33 camshaft from the previous generation and use their sprocket. While the heads are off, might as well send them out for new valves and why not a 5-angle valve job?

Your 2009 engine does not have VVT and runs a single pattern camshaft. What year is the donor engine? Do you know which 5.3 each engine is? There are FlexFuel and non FlexFuel versions.

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score

I'm with @swathdiver on replacing the whole engine. There's no need unless the one you bought from your buddy is in (known) much better shape, lower miles, etc. It's been a long time since I've added it up and my AFM delete snowballed, so I can't say for sure on the cost. But, going off your numbers, deleting AFM is gonna cost that $800-$1,000 whether it's in your current engine or the one you just bought. The one out of the engine bay would just be easier due to the access. I pulled mine to do the delete to make resealing it easier.

If your engine is in otherwise great shape and it's honestly just a ticking lifter, not turned, scrubbed, etc., then you can replace that one lifter or all on that bank. This would be your cheapest option and replacing more parts will cost more on up to a full delete. Yeah, there's a trick to smack the lifter to unstick it without removing the head. But, I don't feel that's a permanent fix.

@Cajunboy- you a fellow Louisianian?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AlbertoTahoe2011