'08 Z71 Rear Shocks Equilivent

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

EddieC

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Are there aftermarket shocks equivalent to Chevy's Z71?
Perhaps the Bil stein 4600?
Have a bit over 90,000 miles on mine and looking at comparable replacements.
The Z71 parts have performed much to our liking so I'm not looking to change the character too much and certainly not to the harder side.

Last edited:
OP
OP
EddieC

EddieC

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Perhaps I should ask a different question. Has anyone experience both the oem Z71 shocks and the Bilstein 4600 and could comment in comparison?

kbuskill

***CAUTION*** I do my own stunts!
Reaction score
Are there aftermarket shocks equivalent to Chevy's Z71?
Perhaps the Bil stein 4600?
Have a bit over 90,000 miles on mine and looking at comparable replacements.
The Z71 parts have performed much to our liking so I'm not looking to change the character too much and certainly not to the harder side.

I cannot comment on the Z71 or the Bilstein 4600s... I know most guys on here seem to like the Bilstein 5100s.

Just out of curiosity... if you are happy with the Z71 shocks why change to something else?

OP
OP
EddieC

EddieC

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I cannot comment on the Z71 or the Bilstein 4600s... I know most guys on here seem to like the Bilstein 5100s.

Just out of curiosity... if you are happy with the Z71 shocks why change to something else?

You said it; Out of curiosity.

I tried to get feedback from Bilstein on the 4600 model but all I got was repeated scripted run around answers avoiding the question of their ride characteristics. They claimed that each shock is tuned to each application. I pointed out that Chevy Tahoes come with a variety of suspensions/shocks and I got the same answer; custom tuned. I looked up their model numbers for the various 4wd Tahoe models and they were "one size fits all" for the 4600 model. So much for custom tuning to the vehicle. Not to mention yellow??

So with that Bilstein is out and curiosity is satisfied.

The oem Z71's are a large diameter monotube shock and have lasted over 90,000 miles and 14 year so, decision made.

Thanks for your post.

Last edited:

kbuskill

***CAUTION*** I do my own stunts!
Reaction score
Sounds typical of most companies "canned" responses.

Like I said most of the guys on here go with the 5100s. I'm not sure what the difference is.

I went with Rancho 9 way adjustable struts up front and will eventually figure out how to get a set on the rear while keeping the auto leveling rear shocks. But my truck is lowered 4/6 and is a whole different animal.

The problem with getting internet advice about something like suspension is that everyone has a different opinion about what rides "good".

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cbrpilot2