08 Tahoe Oil Leak Near Trans Pan and Oil Filter

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Billydunwoody

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Back on here for more recs as ya’ll were helpful last time. Me hanic is booked until next week.
08 Tahoe 4WD 103k miles
Lokls like there is some oil build up right above the filter (housing) and also looks like some oil on a part near the transmission pan, although there is no sign of any leak on the transmission. Looks like motor oil in each picture attached.
I had the oil pump, o ring and oil pan gasket changed about 2.5k miles ago so this has happened since then. Only 1 drip of oil on my driveway and no loss on the dipstick.
Anyone have any ideas what it might be somI can start ordering parts?
Thanks!

Attachments

• IMG_2875.jpg
    IMG_2875.jpg
    209.9 KB · Views: 20
  • IMG_2874.jpg
    IMG_2874.jpg
    235.9 KB · Views: 22

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Check oil filter gasket. Check the oil cooler line gasket or oil cooler line block off plate gasket. 10mm wrench with a little tug.

How is your oil pressure with that M1 filter? My motor did not like them.

OP
OP
B

Billydunwoody

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Check oil filter gasket. Check the oil cooler line gasket or oil cooler line block off plate gasket. 10mm wrench with a little tug.

Thanks. Is it a hard job to do the oil cooler line and block off gaskets being a 4WD?
Also, any insight on the oil thats on the rubber boot next to the transmission pan? Its not far from the oil filter but looks far enough to me to be a seperate leak than that.
my oil pressure actually increased a bit and its been good. I put in LiquiMoly oil and the M1 filter and its been idiling at 30psi and goes up to 50psi on the highway. Before the M1 I used fram ultra and it was 26-27psi idiling and 35-45psi on highway.

Geotrash

Dave
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thanks. Is it a hard job to do the oil cooler line and block off gaskets being a 4WD?
Also, any insight on the oil thats on the rubber boot next to the transmission pan? Its not far from the oil filter but looks far enough to me to be a seperate leak than that.
my oil pressure actually increased a bit and its been good. I put in LiquiMoly oil and the M1 filter and its been idiling at 30psi and goes up to 50psi on the highway. Before the M1 I used fram ultra and it was 26-27psi idiling and 35-45psi on highway.
Not a hard job, just annoying because there is limited clearance so you have to have the right combination of extensions to get in there.

+1 that it’s the oil cooler block off plate. It’s a pita to get that thing to seal but pay close attention to the torque spec because the bolts go into aluminum and they will strip easily.

OP
OP
B

Billydunwoody

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Not a hard job, just annoying because there is limited clearance so you have to have the right combination of extensions to get in there.

+1 that it’s the oil cooler block off plate. It’s a pita to get that thing to seal but pay close attention to the torque spec because the bolts go into aluminum and they will strip easily.
Thanks, ill order the parts and have my mechanic do it next oil change. Is it best to order the whole oil cooler line assembly seeing as they are the original ones on the car? Only $54 on RockAuto

Geotrash

Dave
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thanks, I’ll order the parts and have my mechanic do it next oil change. Is it best to order the whole oil cooler line assembly seeing as they are the original ones on the car? Only $54 on RockAuto
Maybe, because it’s likely your lines are beginning to seep if they are original. That said, replacing the lines is a big job that requires removing the motor mount on that side, which opens up a whole other can of ‘while you’re in theres’, including the motor mount itself.

If, miraculously, your lines are not seeping at all, I would just replace the gasket.

BG1988

Full Access Member
Reaction score

60-65PSI on startup averaging 50psi@ 600+rpm while the vehicle is in gear Pennzoil platinum (natural gas version 5w30) according the meter on the cluster

hot it will get to 45psi at idle

OP
OP
B

Billydunwoody

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Thanks for all the info!
Question since ya’ll are so knowledgeable: What would lifter replacement cost at a mechanic normally and what other parts would I replace while doing that without much other labor?
Just trying to get a ballpark of how much I need to save down the road.
Thanks again!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bekahgentry

Latest posts