08 Tahoe Hybrid no start/ no crank after AFM valve replacement

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

j91z28d1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
that's doesn't look like a horrible scanner. quick Google says it reads abs and air bag codes. makes me think it might show something. looks like there's upgrade software on their site and a way to contact the company. but be worth asking. battery voltage, jump Assist and accidental clear are the big ones on our trucks.

the cover over the hybrid box under the hood caught me out once, I had it off to do something and went to test start it without it on and nothing. realized there's a safety plug. on it that has to make a good connection or it won't let it start.

if you happened to take the small metal cover off the battery pack near that orange plug, there's a safety jumper there too that has to be in place.

just stuff off the top of my head.

TollKeeper

Full Access Member
Reaction score
As far as I know, the Actron cp9690 will not read the info he is after. He needs a Bi-Directional scanner to read the HCM, and the status of the related components. That one is just a 1 directional, with added features for battery/oil reset. Its a great scanner for German gasoline, possibly German diesel, crowd. But not so much for the domestic/All Hybrid/All EV crowd.

OP
OP
kenny-or

kenny-or

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Hey guys, Thanks for the links and for the info that you have shared so far. I will be getting a tech2 in the very near future as it seems that this is kind of a requirement imo. I hate that the other scanner can't allow access the extra functions.

I left the car on a trickle charger for the last 36 hours just went out and tried to start it... Unfortunately, its still doing the same thing. I did check the Hybrid cover plug and even put a jumper in it to bypass it as a random test. Nothing.

I'm really thinking that I need to get it into jump assist mode or that when I keyed on to check if it was ready to start that it put it in crash protection mode which also prevents starting. Tech2 seems to be my only option at this point besides pulling the wiring harness and going through each wire to check for a bad wire.

j91z28d1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
oh, I got one. have you tried starting it with the remote start button?

I have know idea why or how he fixed it, cause he was in a different country with no gm dealership to take it to. but it would start with the key fob but not the ign switch.

OP
OP
kenny-or

kenny-or

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I did attempt to start it with the remote start and it failed. Turned on and went through the motions but stopped short of the crank.... I'll actually go attempt that one more time though since trickle just for good measures.

OP
OP
kenny-or

kenny-or

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Just tried Remote start again to no avail. I think its in crash protection mode. It's the only thing that makes sense at this point. :shrug:

TollKeeper

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If it was in crash protection mode, that would show up on your scanner thru the SRS system.

A Tech2 clean wipe of all systems, after you read/write down the existing codes, is where I would start.

OP
OP
kenny-or

kenny-or

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
My tool isn't showing any codes currently. I called GM and their first thought was a bad ground but I confirmed that the 3 grounds I disconnected to do the job are back in place and secure. I'll just have to order a tool when I get the cash together for it and see what that does from there. At a loss beyond that. :angry94:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DenaliRoyal