08 express hard shifting 1-2 only when cold

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Tonyv__

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So this just started recently. My 08 express van 50k miles 6.0 engine. Not exactly sure which trans it has. Just started hard shifting when cold. Like first thing in the morning. I warm up my truck then I leave the driveway. 1st shift is hard and sometimes 2nd shift is hard. Then it smooths out and no problems for the remainder of the day. Unless it sits long enough (8 hours or so for example) then it will do the hard shift again

any recommendations on where to look or start would be great. Thanks in advance

Tonyrodz

Resident Resident
Reaction score
Might be the solenoids in the trans sticking. Had to replace both of mine in my 4l80.

Tonyrodz

Resident Resident
Reaction score
Yes, very similar. I thought the trans was going. I actually had a trans code for it. You'll need a scanner that does trans codes.

OP
OP
Tonyv__

Tonyv__

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes, very similar. I thought the trans was going. I actually had a trans code for it. You'll need a scanner that does trans codes.
I guess I’ll have to spring for that tech2. I really wish it still worked for 2015 as well though

OP
OP
Tonyv__

Tonyv__

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Cheaped out and bought an Autel scanner last night on Amazon for $99. just can’t justify buying the tech 2 yet. I’ll keep the thread updated as soon as I scan an find anything

OP
OP
Tonyv__

Tonyv__

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No codes in the transmission…. Hmm. But the fluid is filthy. I can’t believe I haven’t checked that. Gonna start by cycling that out with clean fluid than maybe a filter