08 Denali back from the dead (Tow build) input welcome

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TollKeeper

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Of course you were-cannot have too many ponies under the hood! :winner_first_h4h:
That, and the 6 speed tranny, makes the V8 a rocket, for only having 311hp. I would almost bet it could keep up with a Cayenne S. The one I test drove opened my eyes to those little Yamaha engines. I almost signed the papers when I got back to the dealer.. But the tranny was slamming into reverse and drive.. Dealer said he was going to have it looked at, and give me a call.. I never heard from him. The 6 speed tranny in those are CRAZY expensive, to the tune of 5000 bucks! I am betting he sent it to auction.

SRQYukon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Def a great idea. First issues is I need to get in there to replace the failed exhaust manifold. I also have to replace the AC compressor. have a good big of oil seepage going on in gaskets and hoses. So I am going to dive in and do a nice refresh under the hood.
Second, didnt explain it well, but she likely wont dive it often if ever at all. We are going to pick up a used RX350/MDX to hold her over for a few years (lowest depreciation). The yukon will be for soccer tournaments, vacations or towing the toys around. But I need to bullet proof it. I really neglected it over the years, so I am bringing it back to life. I dont trust it enough as is to just do a tune BUT I am considering skipping the LTH's as I am not looking for a crazy amount of power.
Definitely go with the BB tune. Justin does a great job with the tuning and depending on where you are you may be able to get an in-person tune. I didn't pay anywhere near $600 for my in-person tune, but had to drive 4-hours round trip to meet up with Justin. Maybe $600 covers the AutoCal for the remote tuning. The BB tune really waked up my 5.3 XL and I tow a 2-ton trailer every week. It will tow 70 mph all day long (if you don't mind the 10 mpg). I coupled the BB tune with a Grantelli MAF sensor, K&N CAI and that's it. The 6.2 already has over 400 ponies, so a tune and a few tweaks will really make it perform. Don't forget the tranny cooler!

adventurenali92

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just completed almost 4000 mile round trip. Gas mileage average was 15mpg, this takes in account elevation changes, and playing around. Had no issues with the new engine or cooling system, but found at lower elevations my exhaust is WAY loud, haha.

Unless you want 'way' more power and potential driveability issues that your wife may not enjoy, I would first go with a Black Bear Performance tune. This tune will really wake up both your 6.2 motor and the 6 speed transmission. For ~$600, this is the best performance investment for your dollar. If, after you get this tune, you still are not satisfied with the overall performance improvement of the truck, then you can proceed with cams, etc. And for a nominal fee, you can get a future tune adjustment to bring out the full capabilities of any added equipment (like a cam).
I agree with this here about Blackbear performance! Except that at least with my experience, Justin does not charge to retune after the intitql tube service if you needs adjusted like after a cam swap or the like. While I haven’t done anything majors after my initial tune that he did for me, he made tweaks afterwards without charging me.

Joseph Garcia

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I agree with this here about Blackbear performance! Except that at least with my experience, Justin does not charge to retune after the intitql tube service if you needs adjusted like after a cam swap or the like. While I haven’t done anything majors after my initial tune that he did for me, he made tweaks afterwards without charging me.
That was then. Times and tune adjustment policies have changed.

Charlie207

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Per their website, the free re-tunes are available for a one-year period after purchase.

Autocal Tune Update Policy:
  • For each vehicle tuned, we will provide updates on an as-needed basis at no additional cost for one year.
  • We reserve the right to modify that policy as we see fit and will notify all affected parties.