08 Chevy tahoe cam upgraded

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

209panda

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
got a 08 tahoe want to swap cam and delete the DOD witch cam do you guys recommend For performance and here and thier towing?

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
got a 08 tahoe want to swap cam and delete the DOD witch cam do you guys recommend For performance and here and thier towing?

Welcome to TYF!

What would you be towing? Also, to have both of these somewhat contradicting functions, you'll need additional parts and/or mods such as slightly looser torque converter, higher compression, etc. Basically, the smaller the cam (closer to stock), the fewer parts and mods you'll need to make up for the altered characteristics and/or losses.

For reference: I used a TSP Stage2 low lift truck cam in my delete (also an '08). To complement the cam, I got a 2800 stall converter and headers. To make up for the cam's low-end losses (however very minimal) and further improve everywhere else, I raised the compression. I also tightened the quench with thinner head gaskets as part of raising the compression but to also improve the combustion efficiency and stave off detonation. I have a 93 octane tune. As a result, I have ~80-100 more horses at the wheels yet get the same or better MPG as I did with AFM. I'm a full second faster in the 1/4. I've towed an electric golf cart (1,000 lbs.) on a 5x8 utility trailer with two passengers and all our 5-day vacation luggage plus extras from Tampa, Florida to West Baton Rouge, LA. Averaged 17-18 MPG at 70 MPH. I've towed a compact 4-door car on a tow dolly from south of New Orleans to Baton Rouge- averaged 19 MPG at 65 MPH.

So, it's not as easy as JUST swapping in a cam, but it can be if that's all you wanna do. You'll just need to be reasonable with your cam selection or accept certain sacrifices.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kylesimmons