07 Yukon Denali 6.2L w/186k miles, Used Oil Analysis (UOA)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
donjetman

donjetman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
@j91z28d1
On mine I believe the Iron came from Cylinder liners/sleeves. See how the aluminum (pistons) in sample#3 was elevated. I put another 4500 miles on that oil after the overheat event (not smart/good) for a total of 8600 miles on that load. The full flow oil filter (XG10575) when I cut it open the media looked darker or very different than what it normally looks like.

I reuse the bypass filter 4 times. As it cloggs with soot/etc it gets even more efficient doing an even better job of filtering. The current the bypass filter has 30k miles on it. Bypass was new at the next oil change after the overheat event. I unscrew it and drain what I can at each oil change. I get about 1/2 the oil out of it.

j91z28d1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
that's interesting, I didn't know the sleeves wear would show up as iron.. makes sense. I just looked back at mine, I wish I had a baseline to compare but after the event was the first oil I ever had checked. my aluminum said 7. which it does say matches the adv. maybe I didn't have the cyl wear you did. the oil came out like back water. it was pretty bad. surprised it didn't hurt it more.

interesting you reuse oil filters for better filtering.

OP
OP
donjetman

donjetman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Filters (air, oil, fuel, etc) as they load up do a better and better job of filtering, but they become more restrictive to flow too. It's a trade-off/compromise.

OP
OP
donjetman

donjetman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm think about installing a bypass filter on my 13 Tahoe and I run Amsoil in mine. How did you mount the bypass set-up?
Here's info & pics of my install: post#1, 43, 75, 77, & 100:

and more:

*NOTE*
I used the ICT billet oil cooler adapter for #6 size fitting/hose:

If I was to do it again I would use their billet oil cooler adapter for 1/8" pipe thread fitting:

there's more space between the fittings
and
you only want to run 5 to 10% of the oil pump volume thru the bypass filter. In the long haul 100% gets filtered. So I ground away about half the material between the 2 ports on the ICT adapter so as to bypass both pressure and volume back to the engine and away from the bypass filter. Bypass filters are very restrictive. Forcing too much pressure and volume thru it might damage the internal filtering media. The EaBP90 does have a bypass spring.
I know it is filtering the oil just by touching it a few miles after I leave home. If it's getting hot then you know oil is flowing thru it.

Also, in series to the bypass filter, I added a 1 gal tank to increase the total oil sump capacity and an oil cooler.

I use the Felpro# 72462 gasket and cut the center area between the port out.
DSCN0999.JPG

j91z28d1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
quick question, did you put a oil temp gauge in? have you ever compared it to what the ecm reports for oil temp over the obd2 port?

it seems that's a calculated number since I don't see a sensor anywhere on mine

OP
OP
donjetman

donjetman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
quick question, did you put a oil temp gauge in? have you ever compared it to what the ecm reports for oil temp over the obd2 port?

it seems that's a calculated number since I don't see a sensor anywhere on mine
not me

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AlbertoTahoe2011