'07 Tahoe in the shop - able to check alignment by sensors?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

truckguy

Reaction score
This morning I took my '07 Tahoe into the Chevy dealer for the passenger side airbag recall. A little nervous about leaving my Tahoe in someone else's hands, but didn't have much choice other than not have it done.

I drove into the check-in station, where they took all my info and then informed me that as I drove into the service bay, they have these sensors that measure alignment and, "of course", mine was out of alignment and for only $169, they could fix that today.

True or false they can check alignment just by me driving/rolling thru some sensor measurements machine?

Geotrash

Dave
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This morning I took my '07 Tahoe into the Chevy dealer for the passenger side airbag recall. A little nervous about leaving my Tahoe in someone else's hands, but didn't have much choice other than not have it done.

I drove into the check-in station, where they took all my info and then informed me that as I drove into the service bay, they have these sensors that measure alignment and, "of course", mine was out of alignment and for only $169, they could fix that today.

True or false they can check alignment just by me driving/rolling thru some sensor measurements machine?
That's a new one on me.

OP
OP
T

truckguy

Reaction score
But, but, but,,,, lol, they provided me a print-out that showed my left front camber oh so slightly out of spec. Had a big "FAILED" printed on the sheet and highlighted in red.......

I declined the offer, but then got to wondering if they could really test it using this drive thru method of measurement. They're coming up with all kinds of new technology, but they also still have many of the old upsell tricks still going on as well. Was just trying to get the read on this possibility.
They gave me the sheet showing the measurements, in case I thought I needed it, I'd just do it myself.

Geotrash

Dave
Supporting Member
Reaction score
But, but, but,,,, lol, they provided me a print-out that showed my left front camber oh so slightly out of spec. Had a big "FAILED" printed on the sheet and highlighted in red.......

I declined the offer, but then got to wondering if they could really test it using this drive thru method of measurement. They're coming up with all kinds of new technology, but they also still have many of the old upsell tricks still going on as well. Was just trying to get the read on this possibility.
They gave me the sheet showing the measurements, in case I thought I needed it, I'd just do it myself.
For that money, Firestone will do a proper alignment and give you a lifetime guarantee that lets you come back as often as you want for a check or reset. It came in real handy for me when I replaced the steering rack on my '07 this year. I have a lifetime alignment from Firestone on it from when I rebuilt the front suspension shortly after I bought it.

t_bergman

Full Access Member
Reaction score

They can, it uses sensors which are put on the wheels and if done correctly by someone who has been trained it is accurate.

If you trust the service advisor who trusts the guy doing the verification then I'd say it's probably out of spec.

This is the machine at the dealership I use: https://www.hunter.com/alignment-machines/

Blackcar

Full Access Member
Reaction score

We had a dealer that had a system you would drive over when you drove in service bay but all it could check is toe out. It would also have print out. But that was years ago.

OP
OP
T

truckguy

Reaction score
There wasn't any machine or device hooked to the wheel or otherwise. I drove into the bay, and was with the vehicle the entire time. Within 5 minutes of standing there next to my vehicle, they handed me a piece of paper showing that my left camber was out of spec and asked if I wanted an alignment today to resolve the alignment issue. Said the sensors picked it up as I drove into the bay.

Just Fishing

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Crazy, they would have to show me the machine and it would have to say "hunter" on it, otherwise I would have laughed in their face.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MyCleftNut

Latest posts