07 Tahoe engine replacement

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jeff ashworth

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
My son has a 07 Tahoe 5.3 4x4 and a shop told him it needed a new motor because that cylinder shut down system was turning off one cylinder without doing very much testing on it, I told him probably needed to have the delete parts put in it and get the computer flashed but he didn't want to listen to me so this Saturday he is bringing it down with a new remanufactured engine $4,300 hundred later, so is there anything we should do or watch out for while do this engine change. Thanks everyone in advance.

Geotrash

Dave
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My son has a 07 Tahoe 5.3 4x4 and a shop told him it needed a new motor because that cylinder shut down system was turning off one cylinder without doing very much testing on it, I told him probably needed to have the delete parts put in it and get the computer flashed but he didn't want to listen to me so this Saturday he is bringing it down with a new remanufactured engine $4,300 hundred later, so is there anything we should do or watch out for while do this engine change. Thanks everyone in advance.
Easy job, just takes time.

> If you pull the intake first, it's easier to get to the top transmission bell housing bolts.
> Once you separate the engine from the transmission, it's easier to pull the engine out at a 90º angle from the center line.
> Put in new motor mounts and oil and transmission cooler lines while you have the engine out. I recommend the mounts from an H3 hummer. They're solid so they won't wear out like the liquid filled water balloons do.

Last edited:

Just Fishing

Can't fix stupid
Reaction score
Make sure he gets a gen IV engine with the 58 tooth reluctor wheel on the crank.

When i was looking at replacing my engine, I had a hard time finding an actual Gen IV engine.

OP
OP
J

jeff ashworth

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I don't know about the Gen IV he just matched what it was by the VIN. number which was a O on there, do the LTZ tahoe's run an external engine cooler other then the one's in the radiator, thank you for the info.

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don't know about the Gen IV he just matched what it was by the VIN. number which was a O on there, do the LTZ tahoe's run an external engine cooler other then the one's in the radiator, thank you for the info.

VIN 0 is an LMG. Gen IV iron block with AFM. Is the replacement deleted or still has AFM?

The LTZ, or any trim level for that matter, could either have the engine oil cooler in the radiator or none at all and would have a block-off installed. There never was a factory engine oil cooler other than this. The only other optional factory coolers outside of the radiator are the trans fluid and power steering coolers.

My '08 LTZ had a block-off. When I replaced the radiator, I got one with the built-in EOC and installed an OE cooler line set.

992dr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
VIN 0 is an LMG. Gen IV iron block with AFM. Is the replacement deleted or still has AFM?

The LTZ, or any trim level for that matter, could either have the engine oil cooler in the radiator or none at all and would have a block-off installed. There never was a factory engine oil cooler other than this. The only other optional factory coolers outside of the radiator are the trans fluid and power steering coolers.

My '08 LTZ had a block-off. When I replaced the radiator, I got one with the built-in EOC and installed an OE cooler line set.

Not to get off topic but, what radiator did you end up getting?

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Not to get off topic but, what radiator did you end up getting?

Denso 221-9514. I first ordered an ACDelco 21725 for the thicker core (advertised as a 1.34" core). This one was an exact replacement for my stock one with just the trans cooler and no oil cooler. When it arrived from RA, the one in the box had a 1.07" core just like my stock one. I returned it at a $14 loss for shipping charges. Being in a bind and RA being the only one with rads in stock, I had to order from them again. I got the Denso since it had a 1.2598" core- close enough to the ACDelco. It also had the engine oil cooler, so I figured "why not?" and ordered an ACDelco line set. All in, I had an upgraded rad and EOC for just about the same cost as ACDelco alone.

992dr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Denso 221-9514. I first ordered an ACDelco 21725 for the thicker core (advertised as a 1.34" core). This one was an exact replacement for my stock one with just the trans cooler and no oil cooler. When it arrived from RA, the one in the box had a 1.07" core just like my stock one. I returned it at a $14 loss for shipping charges. Being in a bind and RA being the only one with rads in stock, I had to order from them again. I got the Denso since it had a 1.2598" core- close enough to the ACDelco. It also had the engine oil cooler, so I figured "why not?" and ordered an ACDelco line set. All in, I had an upgraded rad and EOC for just about the same cost as ACDelco alone.

Thanks for the info, I appreciate it.
I'll start searching for those part numbers tonight.
I have another option that I'm waiting for that is local, hoping to hear back Monday from them.

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score

How did the swap work out Jeff? Was the new engine complete or did you have to swap over the VLOM and such?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mitchievu