07 Tahoe does A/C compressor cycle on and off?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Indy1K

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I have an 07 Tahoe LTZ with the automatic air conditioning and rear air. I had a problem with the A/C freezing up inside the cabin causing the roaring sound and no air or a bit of warm air coming out. If I would turn off the A/C control for a few minutes and let it thaw out, It would work fine for a little while again. I also knew I had a slight leak at the rear expansion valve. Recharging didnt help the problem.
I was told different things so I replaced the rear expansion valve, the orifice tube in front (none in rear), the accumulator, the low pressure switch on the accumulator, evacuated the system. Checked to make sure I held vacuum, recharged the system and it seems to be working well. Low side pressure is around 45psi and high side is around 160psi. 40degs coming out of vents. fan slows down as cabin cools to set temp and it does not seem to be freezing up anymore.

My question is: on the 07 Tahoe, does the A/C compressor cycle on and off as needed to keep from freezing up? I am trying to get a definitive correct expert answer on this, because I get conflicting information. Some say yes it cycles, some say no it doesnt or only when the inside or outside air button is pressed.
If it is supposed to cycle on and off, what else can prevent that from happening? Is there another pressure switch? I have also changed out the Cabin Climate control module.

Thanks in advance.

Kevin

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have an 07 Tahoe LTZ with the automatic air conditioning and rear air. I had a problem with the A/C freezing up inside the cabin causing the roaring sound and no air or a bit of warm air coming out. If I would turn off the A/C control for a few minutes and let it thaw out, It would work fine for a little while again. I also knew I had a slight leak at the rear expansion valve. Recharging didnt help the problem.
I was told different things so I replaced the rear expansion valve, the orifice tube in front (none in rear), the accumulator, the low pressure switch on the accumulator, evacuated the system. Checked to make sure I held vacuum, recharged the system and it seems to be working well. Low side pressure is around 45psi and high side is around 160psi. 40degs coming out of vents. fan slows down as cabin cools to set temp and it does not seem to be freezing up anymore.

My question is: on the 07 Tahoe, does the A/C compressor cycle on and off as needed to keep from freezing up? I am trying to get a definitive correct expert answer on this, because I get conflicting information. Some say yes it cycles, some say no it doesnt or only when the inside or outside air button is pressed.
If it is supposed to cycle on and off, what else can prevent that from happening? Is there another pressure switch? I have also changed out the Cabin Climate control module.

Thanks in advance.

Kevin
I don't know what the shop manual says but mine does not cycle when it is running and not low on refrigerant.

Bill 1960

Testing the Limits
Reaction score
Mine does not cycle, my understanding is these have a variable displacement compressor that is controlled to match the load. Hopefully someone with explicit knowledge can confirm that.

bill1013

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mine doesn't cycle either. Come to think of it I've never owned a vehicle that cycles off. I know because I'm the cycler...When the wife says "I'm cold", I cycle the AC either off or turn up the temp on her side. Happy wife Happy Life!

Brandon2489

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The compressor will cycle when the recirculation button is pressed. Turn off recirculation and it should not cycle anymore. This is normal operation. I can't seem to find it at the moment but that is in the owners manual.

Brandon2489

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The compressor will also cycle on and off with recirculation button on and the AC switch turned off.

OP
OP
Indy1K

Indy1K

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Thank you to all for the answers. Since we live in SWFL, the recycle button is always pressed as it is always HOT here. Mine does not cycle, even if the button is pressed.
I know it is full charged as I just rebuilt the system and evacuated it and recharged it.

Cheers,

Kevin
2007 Chevy Tahoe LTZ

RED TAHOE LS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
With the outside temperature around 80/90, you will never hear it cycle, especially around town. WHEN TRAVELING @ highway speeds and good airflow it will cycle as it should to keep the evaporator from freezing. Good luck.

Attachments

• Tahoe-1.png
    Tahoe-1.png
    196.6 KB · Views: 1
OP
OP
Indy1K

Indy1K

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Ok, so lets say it does cycle on hot days and at highway speeds, and I dont notice it. What component is responsible for cycling it? I have changed the climate control unit and the pressure switch on the accumulator, the accumulator, the rear expansion valve and the new orifice tube up front, evacuated the system and recharged it. No leaks. It still freezes up after about 30-45 minutes around town. Any other ideas?
Thanks to all for all the head banging on this one.
Kev

Brandon2489

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok, so lets say it does cycle on hot days and at highway speeds, and I dont notice it. What component is responsible for cycling it? I have changed the climate control unit and the pressure switch on the accumulator, the accumulator, the rear expansion valve and the new orifice tube up front, evacuated the system and recharged it. No leaks. It still freezes up after about 30-45 minutes around town. Any other ideas?
Thanks to all for all the head banging on this one.
Kev
You might look into the ambient temp sensor. There my be one for the ECM and one for the HVAC controls. Is your outside temp displaying correctly on the dash? Can you hit the ac button and the recirculation button at the same time and watch the temp change?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kylesimmons