07 Denali AWD to 2WD

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

RAPID

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I have a 2007 Yukon Denali AWD. It has high miles and Ive been restoring it over the last few months replacing all suspension, brakes and cosmetics so it can run another 200K. (So selling it to buy a hard to find 2WD is not an option). Its currently AWD but I am moving to Florida and use it for alot of highway miles and towing which does not require AWD. Currently it needs a front axle, AWD transfer case and front differential is getting noisy. Id like to swap out the AWD transmission to a 2WD transmission and eliminate all the weight and rotating mass up front. Curious if anyone has done this exact swap and if any part numbers are available for the transmission, transmission mount and rear driveshaft ect. I realize the transmission will need to be tuned and reprogrammed and its alot of work but I can do most of it myself and dont mind spending the money. Just want to confirm it will physically fit and there are no wiring challenges or anything I have not thought of....Thanks!!!

wsteele

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think it is a bad idea. You aren't going to gain anywhere near enough mileage to offset the cost of conversion. In addition, you will have a truck that is worth a lot less than a 2WD, which is worth a lot less than an AWD Denali. ion things change and you need to sell it.

You have a great truck on your hands. Just do what needs to be done, have a reserve for things that come along in the next 200K and enjoy the ride.

Just my $.02.

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a 2007 Yukon Denali AWD. It has high miles and Ive been restoring it over the last few months replacing all suspension, brakes and cosmetics so it can run another 200K. (So selling it to buy a hard to find 2WD is not an option). Its currently AWD but I am moving to Florida and use it for alot of highway miles and towing which does not require AWD. Currently it needs a front axle, AWD transfer case and front differential is getting noisy. Id like to swap out the AWD transmission to a 2WD transmission and eliminate all the weight and rotating mass up front. Curious if anyone has done this exact swap and if any part numbers are available for the transmission, transmission mount and rear driveshaft ect. I realize the transmission will need to be tuned and reprogrammed and its alot of work but I can do most of it myself and dont mind spending the money. Just want to confirm it will physically fit and there are no wiring challenges or anything I have not thought of....Thanks!!!
Here in Florida RWD Denalis are everywhere, as are AWD ones too! A good reason to keep AWD in Florida is for the wet roads and rains. The death rate is near zero for AWD Denalis versus RWD Denalis according to the last time I looked at the IIHS. Just looked again, 4 versus 7 per million with ZERO fatalities for multi car accidents and rollovers.

If you do want to convert, one of our intrepid members did so with his slightly older Denali about five years ago on here. You can keep the original transmission if you swap out the rear shaft and tail cone and associated parts. Not exact but will show you what's involved more or less.

You can pick up AWD front axles from LKQ Auto Parts inexpensively and they come warranted. Go for the Cadillacs on the assumption that old snowbirds drove them from their condo to Publix, The Olive Garden and the movies and back between Thanksgiving and Easter each year!

@01ssreda4

OP
OP
RAPID

RAPID

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Here in Florida RWD Denalis are everywhere, as are AWD ones too! A good reason to keep AWD in Florida is for the wet roads and rains. The death rate is near zero for AWD Denalis versus RWD Denalis according to the last time I looked at the IIHS. Just looked again, 4 versus 7 per million with ZERO fatalities for multi car accidents and rollovers.

If you do want to convert, one of our intrepid members did so with his slightly older Denali about five years ago on here. You can keep the original transmission if you swap out the rear shaft and tail cone and associated parts. Not exact but will show you what's involved more or less.

You can pick up AWD front axles from LKQ Auto Parts inexpensively and they come warranted. Go for the Cadillacs on the assumption that old snowbirds drove them from their condo to Publix, The Olive Garden and the movies and back between Thanksgiving and Easter each year!

@01ssreda4
Thanks for the info! Do the RWD Denalis in Florida still have the 6.2 engine and 6L80E transmission? I have tried looking up the Denali with 6.2 and have not been able to pull up a 2WD transmission tail cone on the GM Parts sites. Ive also looked up companies that modify and sell parts for the 6L80E and did not see any that offered the parts to convert

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the info! Do the RWD Denalis in Florida still have the 6.2 engine and 6L80E transmission? I have tried looking up the Denali with 6.2 and have not been able to pull up a 2WD transmission tail cone on the GM Parts sites. Ive also looked up companies that modify and sell parts for the 6L80E and did not see any that offered the parts to convert
You're welcome! Excepting the Hybrids, all GMC Yukon Denalis and Yukon XL Denalis and all versions of the Escalade have a 6.2 motor and the 6L80 transmission. In this generation, they were either AWD or RWD with the RWD vehicles having a larger rear axle, the 9.5" 14-Bolt and all have the same gearing, 3.42s.

The RWD tail cone aka Extension Housing is 24224676 (Rock Auto). I have seen online tutorials on how to convert from one to the other but that was years ago and I don't remember.

One thing to note when looking up parts, ALL 2007 Yukon Denalis were AWD, the RWD versions didn't come out until 2008.

As for the 6.2, the 2007-2008 had the 380 HP L92. The 2009s got the L9H at 403 HP and the 2010-2014s had 403 HP in their L94.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tahoe1844