07+ Brake upgrade on a 00-06 NBS, is it worth it?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Sam Harris

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I’ll just say that my 2009 Powerstop setup with 5 stainless lines does a more than adequate job of stopping very well. I’ve had to test it a number of times with idiot drivers everywhere. I’ve been in several situations where I’m 100% confident if I still had the factory brakes, it would have ended in an accident. Sorry I can’t speak for the 2019+ configuration. It’s better for sure. Just don’t know how much better. If I hadn’t done mine already, and the price was within $200 or so, I’d probably go with the 2019+, but any more than that, maybe, maybe not.

ivin74

05 NBS Nali
Reaction score
I did the NNBS brake mod and I felt the difference in stopping distance. I have never had to test them in real life so It could be all mental. It was worth it to me. I cannot comment on the 2019 brake upgrade.

S33k3r

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks! Although I'm very familiar with that thread, and was about to pull the trigger to order all the parts, but I'm in CA... so, parts here are like twice the cost of anywhere else. Meaning, I'd need to order from an out of state dealership, which adds another $150 in shipping cost.

That's why I'm wondering if anyone who has tried both setups could chime in to share their perspective on how much better they are?
Do you travel? Can you get them more cheaply in a neighboring state? Also, you might look into getting something shipped via Greyhound -- it might be cheaper than $150

MassHoe04

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Wow!
Do you travel? Can you get them more cheaply in a neighboring state? Also, you might look into getting something shipped via Greyhound -- it might be cheaper than $150
Wow!
They still ship on Greyhound?!

Good to know there is an alternative if shippers are willing to use them.

Last time I saw anyone use Greyhound for shipping was when I was 12...
My dad and I were restoring a '31 Model A Ford. We ordered repro. steel fenders from a towing company is Missoula, MT.

FedEx wasn't around my area at the time, that I know of, and Amazon didn't exist in 1972.
This is one of those "I remember when..." moments reminding me of how old I am getting...

It was weird going to the bus station to pick up car parts.
But then again, almost anytime going to the bus station can be a weird experience!

S33k3r

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Last time I saw anyone use Greyhound for shipping was when I was 12...
My dad and I were restoring a '31 Model A Ford. We ordered repro. steel fenders from a towing company is Missoula, MT.

FedEx wasn't around my area at the time, that I know of, and Amazon didn't exist in 1972.
This is one of those "I remember when..." moments reminding me of how old I am getting...
Ha! You are old! I was 2 in 1972, LOL (Yeah, I'm old too :cool: )But, then again, being old means you know stuff and people should listen to you. If nothing else, I've found I know most of the ways to do things wrong (though my expertise seems to be finding new and interesting ways not to do things, but I digress) and can warn people about them.

mountie

Supporting Member
Reaction score
So I finally got around to installing my NNBS brake upgrade. Got 2009 Powerstop fronts and 2005 Powerstop rears. Also did all 6 Goodridge SS lines. I honestly think I have to rebleed the brakes. Pedal still feels a bit soft. Loving them so far tho!!

View attachment 394824

View attachment 394825
Cool....... I have the kit on my fronts and their good pads on the rear. My braking feels great.
I already have all the brake lines in S.S. I don't feel like I need the slotted rotors on the rear.
( '05 Yukon XL fitment )

HansJr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I plan on adding more power here shortly so I’m attacking everything else first before I head into the engine bay. Got a long way to go, but the brakes were on the list. I’ll post back once I rebleed the entire system again.

S33k3r

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Do slotted rotors really help on street trucks? This is not a judgemental question; I am working on a diesel swap, and I want to make sure it stops well. The current system works really well (I panic stopped a 6600# trailer in "only" an extra 20 feet). The current system is stock (3/4 ton, 2004 Silverado).