07+ Brake upgrade on a 00-06 NBS, is it worth it?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

HansJr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I believe powerstop calipers are remanufactered. But Powerstop did it. I have them and am happy with them, along with their pads. ( I also have all stainless steel lines )
Probably what I will end up going with as well. So far rockauto seems to be the best for both kits. Still doing a little searching tho before everything is ordered this weekend.

CE83D7CD-7666-4412-9145-5E38FCC5DF3C.jpeg

S33k3r

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just drove a 1500 Suburban, Friday of last week. Brakes are good per my mechanic, but the petal was WAY mushy. But I've been driving 2500s, or a Sierra Denali, for the past 3 years... So I'd think the brake upgrade would be awesome (on the 1500).

mountie

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Probably what I will end up going with as well. So far rockauto seems to be the best for both kits. Still doing a little searching tho before everything is ordered this weekend.

View attachment 371633
I also like your avatar........

Attachments

• Famoso reunion - 1st showing.JPG
    Famoso reunion - 1st showing.JPG
    306.9 KB · Views: 3

HansJr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well all ordred up. Front 2007+ and Rear 2005 Powerstop Z36 kits and Goodridge SS lines. $1150 for it all. I wish I seen this when prices were so much cheaper. But hey, its the world we are in right now. Hope to have it installed the day it comes in!
I also like your avatar........
Thanks. I did videography for all kinds of drag racing for a little over 10+ years. My company was Free Life Films. Also freelanced for MotoManiaTv, SpeedVideo and some MotorTrend work too.

Sam Harris

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well all ordred up. Front 2007+ and Rear 2005 Powerstop Z36 kits and Goodridge SS lines. $1150 for it all. I wish I seen this when prices were so much cheaper. But hey, its the world we are in right now. Hope to have it installed the day it comes in!

Thanks. I did videography for all kinds of drag racing for a little over 10+ years. My company was Free Life Films. Also freelanced for MotoManiaTv, SpeedVideo and some MotorTrend work too.
You’re gonna love the difference it makes..!

m1949

LS364/450
Reaction score
For those of you who upgraded your 00-06 Tahoe/Yukon front brakes to the larger 07+ style front brakes, is it worth it? I want farbetter braking than I have now on my 01, and I'm wondering the best way to go about it. Will the 07 brakes stop my truck faster? I'd like real reviews from those who have actually done it. Or should I save up my cash for a big brake kit (which I'll probly never be able to afford anyway)??
I currently have Power Stop drilled and slotted rotors with Wagner Thermoquiet Ceramic pads. They stop a tad bit better than stock, but I need to stop my truck faster. Especially if my wife is driving it, LOL.
Your question is hard to answer in concrete language since what constitutes good braking is based on how you use your brakes. For instance, are you pulling a trailer? Do you drive in heavy traffic where frequent braking is needed? Also, everyone gauges what is good braking by their own personal standard. I upgraded my front brakes for a couple reasons. First, more stopping surface just seems like a good idea. Secondly, I was going to replace rotors and calipers anyway. And since I was already planning to do that, the cost difference to go to 08-14 (avoid 07) front bakes was negligible.

mountie

Supporting Member
Reaction score
On my '05 Yukon XL, I replaced my front rotors/calipers with the Prostops at 150,000 miles. Used their pads on the rear. I think, the stopping improvement was more due to the new calipers. I like the pads...no brake dust. But to truly improve, would be flushing the fluid CORRECTLY,.. and the 'feel' is good from replacing all the lines to stainless steel.
I don't believe larger rotors are much of a difference? ( They are just a little bit larger)

Rayyy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Wondering if anyone here who upgraded to the NNBS brakes, recently went further to upgrade to the 2019+ Silverado brakes? And can compare?

Are they that much better than the NNBS brakes?

You can get NBS brakes and rotors nowadays for under $200, while the 2019+ Silverado setup would run close to $700… Is that price delta worth it?

Last edited:

Sam Harris

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Wondering if anyone here who upgraded to the NNBS brakes, recently went further to upgrade to the 2019+ Silverado brakes? And can compare?

Are they that much better than the NBS brakes?

You can get NBS brakes and rotors nowadays for under $200, while the 2019+ Silverado setup would run close to $700… Is that price delta worth it?
There are a number of folks who have upgraded to the 2019+ brake setup. If the cost difference is that significant, I’d say it’s not worth it. I think the rotors are 1/2” larger? There’s at least one thread about it.

Try this: https://www.tahoeyukonforum.com/threads/4-piston-big-brake-upgrade-from-2019-20.125784/

Rayyy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There are a number of folks who have upgraded to the 2019+ brake setup. If the cost difference is that significant, I’d say it’s not worth it. I think the rotors are 1/2” larger? There’s at least one thread about it.

Try this: https://www.tahoeyukonforum.com/threads/4-piston-big-brake-upgrade-from-2019-20.125784/
Thanks! Although I'm very familiar with that thread, and was about to pull the trigger to order all the parts, but I'm in CA... so, parts here are like twice the cost of anywhere else. Meaning, I'd need to order from an out of state dealership, which adds another $150 in shipping cost.

That's why I'm wondering if anyone who has tried both setups could chime in to share their perspective on how much better they are?

Last edited: