07+ Brake upgrade on a 00-06 NBS, is it worth it?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Kman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thank you. When I replace the front calipers do I need to bleed all four corners or can I just do the two front?

ks03

Fool Excess Member
Reaction score
Keep your fluid reservoir happy to keep air from coming in the top and I only bleed the axle I’m working on. Seized bleeders are an issue with our aluminum rear calipers

xThat1Guy86x

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I know this is an old thread and I'm a new member but I've done this upgrade years ago on my still current daily driver, 02 Z71 Burban. I just went to the junkyard and got the calipers, brackets and rotors off an 07 sierra. Turned the rotors got new pads and bolted right up. Still works great. Now fast forward to 2021 almost 22 and you can now an even bigger upgrade than this one. You can get the calipers, brackets, pads and rotors off a 2019 or 2020 Silverado and bolt those right up too giving you 13.5" of clamping power...... Not to mention they're 4 piston!!!! Especially with the monoblock type pads. The only thing you will have to get extra is a couple of washers, usually 1/2" or so, and space the calipers from the bracket to be direct centered on the rotors. Also have to grind the front of the calipers smooth so they will clear the rims, or you can use spacers. I plan on doing this upgrade in the next few months!!

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I know this is an old thread and I'm a new member but I've done this upgrade years ago on my still current daily driver, 02 Z71 Burban. I just went to the junkyard and got the calipers, brackets and rotors off an 07 sierra. Turned the rotors got new pads and bolted right up. Still works great. Now fast forward to 2021 almost 22 and you can now an even bigger upgrade than this one. You can get the calipers, brackets, pads and rotors off a 2019 or 2020 Silverado and bolt those right up too giving you 13.5" of clamping power...... Not to mention they're 4 piston!!!! Especially with the monoblock type pads. The only thing you will have to get extra is a couple of washers, usually 1/2" or so, and space the calipers from the bracket to be direct centered on the rotors. Also have to grind the front of the calipers smooth so they will clear the rims, or you can use spacers. I plan on doing this upgrade in the next few months!!
There’s a lengthy thread on this. Unfortunately most rims still won’t fit even after grinding the humps. Guys have been shipping a test caliper around to interested individuals to see if they fit your wheels. Last I read, the newer wheels have a different offset and most of the older wheels won’t fit. It might be possible with spacers. Lots of reading here.

mountie

Supporting Member
Reaction score
From what I have been learning...... The larger diameter of the rotor is not the improvement, but the NEW-good working CALIPER is. ( OEM style )

( Rocket Man.... correct me if I am wrong ) :2cents:

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
From what I have been learning...... The larger diameter of the rotor is not the improvement, but the NEW-good working CALIPER is. ( OEM style )

( Rocket Man.... correct me if I am wrong ) :2cents:
They’re both improvements IMO. But the consensus was, last I heard, it’s worth it if you need new wheels because you can buy some of the newer ones but if you want to run your NBS wheels they probably won’t fit. Read up! I quit following the thread after awhile.

Evildmanarc

Reaction score
I did the upgrade. I used R1 premier slotted rotors, ac delco front calipers, hawks lts and goodridge ss lines. It is much better than what it is was before but I am also on stock 17's, I have no way to quantify it other than the seat of the pants/pedal travel feel and I now want bigger sway bars to control the nose dive when traffic just decides to randomly stop.

I wish I could tell ya what made the biggest difference, whether its the 1in extra mechanical leverage from the rotor and the beastly calipers, the pads or the ss lines.

I would try the ss lines first and if you aren't satisfied then do the nnbs upgrade. Theres always hydroboost as well
Did you use a different master cylinder or hydraboost or what? I'm curious

HansJr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Man. After reading all 47 pages I learned a lot. Not just on the NNBS upgrade but other factors of braking. This is why I love forums! Also sucks tho going thru this parts list I’m putting together and seeing what the prices where at the beginning of this thread in 2016-2019 to what they are now in 2022. Supply and demand or lack there of I guess . I’ll report back once all the parts are in and installed

Also, just so I know I read correctly, all Powerstop calipers are basically AC Delco remaned calipers with red powder coating?

Last edited:

mountie

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Man. After reading all 47 pages I learned a lot. Not just on the NNBS upgrade but other factors of braking. This is why I love forums! Also sucks tho going thru this parts list I’m putting together and seeing what the prices where at the beginning of this thread in 2016-2019 to what they are now in 2022. Supply and demand or lack there of I guess . I’ll report back once all the parts are in and installed

Also, just so I know I read correctly, all Powerstop calipers are basically AC Delco remaned calipers with red powder coating?
I believe powerstop calipers are remanufactered. But Powerstop did it. I have them and am happy with them, along with their pads. ( I also have all stainless steel lines )

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ron505