07-14 Tahoe PPV Suspension

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

WillRyan

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Thought I'd add to this thread. I only converted the rear springs, and am still using the same factory shock.

GM Part #15200994

Measurements were taken from bottom wheel lip, to fender lip. That is why they will seem lower than others.

Stock Height
Front: 32.625"
Rear: 34.5"

New Height
Rear: 32.75"

The PPV Springs lowered the rear end by 1.75" on my moms suburban! I must say, it sits just about perfect now!!

IMG_8939_zps9lkihyfj.jpg
IMG_8937_zpsv0phepas.jpg
IMG_8938_zpskisi0l9m.jpg

OP
OP
R

rockstar1024

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Sorry I've been MIA! Tahoe2007BorderPatrol: if you are only looking to lower the rear and make it level, I would suggest looking at some McGaughys rear leveling springs. They are progressive rate, and I have found that the main advantage to these, other than riding a little better, is that they are the same length as the stock springs when unloaded. This means that you can still use your factory shocks. No shock extensions are necessary to keep the spring in the upper and lower springs seats. Now, that brings me to my second point...WillRyan: The burb looks great! I hope you bought some shock extensions, otherwise you are taking a big risk in the springs coming out of their spring seats. The PPV rear springs are not progressive rate; they are simply shorter than stock. I believe the spring rate is all the same or very close to the factory spring rate. Shorter shocks or shock extensions are necessary. Jack the back of the Suburban up by the frame so that the shocks are at full travel. I predict that the springs will be very loose. Playing with fire there. If you haven't already, get some shock extensions. You could get the PPV shocks, but beware that they are tuned very differently and will provide a very stiff ride. And, I'm sorry that I'm such a slacker on the pics...I promise I will post them on Saturday!

OP
OP
R

rockstar1024

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Here's a pic! Not as low as you all expected is it?! Sorry for taking so long to post it.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    88.3 KB · Views: 201

edmundo

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I'm new here and need some help to find info for HOW TO LIFT to stock height or little more a 2010 TAHOE PPV 2wd , could be work adding rancho quicklift , strut spacers , 4" suspension lift kit hope that can help me, thanks

balln2k11

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I know this is an old thread, but I need help!!!

Just purchased an 09 PPV Tahoe with 109k miles. This thing rides like there are no shocks at all. I feel every bump nd the truck sounds like its falling apart.

Anyway, i need some direction on the best shocks struts. I see on Rockauto.com only a few shocks with for the “police package” are listed.

Also, do I reuse the front coils springs or buy struts with the new coil springs attached?

Any help is much appreciated

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I know this is an old thread, but I need help!!!

Just purchased an 09 PPV Tahoe with 109k miles. This thing rides like there are no shocks at all. I feel every bump nd the truck sounds like its falling apart.

Anyway, i need some direction on the best shocks struts. I see on Rockauto.com only a few shocks with for the “police package” are listed.

Also, do I reuse the front coils springs or buy struts with the new coil springs attached?

Any help is much appreciated

Frank, why don't you post in the PPV/SSV section or contact some of the guys who have them directly? Not as many will see this post.

Jimgeorge

Reaction score
I recently completed upgrading my stock ZW7 Premium Smooth Ride Suspension on my 2014 Tahoe LT 2WD to the Z56 Police Suspension. I wanted to share details on the parts and debunk rumors and myths that I have read about what the PPVs are running. First of all, Pedders has absolutely nothing to do with the police suspension. I understand that they call their suspension the police suspension or whatever, but GM does not use them and they are not the same. Second, the drop is not that extreme. Third, the sway bars are the same. GM literature states that the sway bars are stiffer, but they are not. The front bumps stops are the same, but the rears are shorter. The front lower control arms are aluminum instead of iron. For people who are seeking looks over handling I suggest you look elsewhere. The result is, however, a very nice level look. The main reason that the PPVs appear so low is because of the wheel/tire diameter. They run 265/60R17 Goodyear Eagle RS-A tires that have an overall diameter of 29.5". Stock tires, whether they be the 265/70R17 or 275/55R20 have an overall diameter around 32". Divide those numbers in half to obtain the radius difference of 1.25". The PPV has the exact same front ride height as a civilian Tahoe, so the tires drop it 1.25". The rear springs and shocks are about 2" shorter, so the PPV would be about 3.25" lower in the rear. I hope this all makes sense. Now to the real details. The handling is awesome. The control is amazing. I am running stock 20" wheels and tires, so mine isn't as low as the PPVs. The ride is pretty firm, and there is a bit of fore/aft bobbing on some roads. I don't mind, as the overall package is just so composed. Alignment is easy since the front ride height is not altered. So, no more waiting, here is what you need to upgrade your suspension:

Driver side front lower control arm (aluminum): 25997509
Passenger side front lower control arm (aluminum): 25997510
Front spring (x2): 15132801
Front strut (x2): 20955497
Rear spring (x2): 15200994
Rear shock absorber (x2): 20955430
Rear bump stop (x2): 15200997
Thanks for all that great information. I have a 2011 PPV which I believe to be a detective or supervisor model because it doesn’t have any outside lights or decals. It does have the PPV code in the glove compartment. I had at the same time a 2008 PPV which was definitely a phoenix police cruiser with cage and prisoner seat. I compared the height and the detective model was more than an inch higher than the police car. I wonder why? I ordered a 2 inch lowering kit for the front and back. When it was installed the front went down about two inches but The back only dropped 1/4 inch. DJM said that because it was a PPV it already lowered and I would need a 4 inch drop kit for the back so that’s on order.
Talking about the sway bar. I installed a Heilwig sway bar. It was twice as big and a solid bar. The original was smaller and was a tube not solid so I’m sure it will work much better.
Why are the PPV aluminum? Any idea?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Phoenix2k9