06 yukon manifold gasket and knock sensors question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

yukon06

Reaction score
Background......

I have a VW cc sport in my driveway with the intake manifold off and waiting on a fuel rail...its a recall part but im past recall so im doing myself and taking longer than expected...because of that and also because i need to get back into something bigger and 4x4 i bought my 06 yukon a couple weeks ago.

Before buying the owner gave me a list of things he's done since he's owned it...he purchased in 17 from the original owner and now im the third...he has done a ton of maintenance and it shows....all the usual things.

Fast forward to today I get a CEL and I have ptsd from dealing with the CEL on my VW so I go right in to autozone and use the scanner it comes out with code P0327 replace knock sensors and manifold gasket. The only sympton is the CEL, the truck is running fine.

I look back to the list of things done and these were done 5 months ago / only 4k miles since.....

So my question, is this a fluke, was it not done correctly or am i just the bearer of bad luck?
I didnt expect this to happen right away and one of the reasons i bought this particular truck is because the condition its in with a lot of the usual parts already replaced....im in a bad position financially as well as health wise and i need something reliable and that im hoping isnt gonna need a lot of major repairs.
Im no mechanic but i can do things as needed, though the intake manifold on the VW is tedious and in the middle of that i dont want or have the energy to do the knock sensors and intake gasket on this yukon....any idea what ballpark cost should be, im on long island in NY....
Any other info or knowledge would be helpful and appreciated....

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Watch you tube video(s) for replacing knock sensors. I say more than one because some people do it different or wrong and you need a visual reference. Removing the intake is pretty easy. Knock sensors are not bad and make sure you do a good clean up and again, follow any recommendations. What may have happened when the sensors were replaced before, the wiring harnesses were not done but you can also have cheap aftermarket crap sensors that were replaced instead of Genuine GM or AC Delco brands. I use Fel Pro gasket sets.

OP
OP
yukon06

yukon06

Reaction score
Watch you tube video(s) for replacing knock sensors. I say more than one because some people do it different or wrong and you need a visual reference. Removing the intake is pretty easy. Knock sensors are not bad and make sure you do a good clean up and again, follow any recommendations. What may have happened when the sensors were replaced before, the wiring harnesses were not done but you can also have cheap aftermarket crap sensors that were replaced instead of Genuine GM or AC Delco brands. I use Fel Pro gasket sets.
Thank you...i definitely watch several videos like you suggested...even one little tip can help...
PS - respect on Veteran's Day

OP
OP
yukon06

yukon06

Reaction score
these guys nailed it on a how-to video, even a clutz like me did it no time
I would recommend replacing both sensors with oem and replace the wiring harness at the same time
Thank you as well....i did a search before I posted and watched that as you posted to someone elses question a while back

OP
OP
yukon06

yukon06

Reaction score
PS
A loose gas cap would not return a code for knock sensors correct...id think that would be an emissions code....

Also, if I were to decide to have someone do this what is a ballpark cost?
Also.....is this an immediate repair or can i drive for a while...will cause more damage if i drive for a few weeks before repair?

Last edited:

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
these guys nailed it on a how-to video, even a clutz like me did it no time
I would recommend replacing both sensors with oem and replace the wiring harness at the same time
Thorough video except did not do harness and I am used to doing the silicone seal 2/3 moon around where the rubber cups plug back in. To each their own.

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
A loose fuel cap would set an evap code. The shop labor rate and quality of parts make all the difference. The sensors and harness and seal/gasket set and you heard on the video that it calls for 2.5 hours plus you will likely have materials fees. I would do a WAG and say a shop would tell you close to $500 to $600 depending on a few factors and top off fluids and whatever. I do so much of my own that I have not priced things lately. I could be off by $100 or so.

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
PS
A loose gas cap would not return a code for knock sensors correct...id think that would be an emissions code....

Also, if I were to decide to have someone do this what is a ballpark cost?
Also.....is this an immediate repair or can i drive for a while...will cause more damage if i drive for a few weeks before repair?
your fine as long as you are not driving it in a manner to make it ping, just use good gas.
I don't remember what a shop charges to do it I think the oem sensors run around $50 each and the harness might be around $25-30
I would highly recommend not using aftermarket sensors otherwise you will be doing it again soon.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gudmat