06 Yukon 5.3 to LQ9 swap

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

skyhighsami

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Swapping the tired 5.3 for a LQ9 I'll have freshened. Swapping the 317 heads out for 243s and s Fast 102 truck I'll likely have port matched or optimized together. So I increase the compression more than a 243 equipped LQ9? Exhaust will be 1 3/4" primary long tubes with 3" piping off the collector running into the Flowmaster dual 3" inlet single 4" outlet that will feed my stock Duramax exhaust with 4" inlet and outlet Borla muffler. If I have the Yank SS3600 out of my TBSS so a 4400 can go in I will toss in an I6 Trailblazer converter. 4.11 gears, Auburn diff and hardened axles for the rear. I need opinions for the cam, I'd really like to be in the 400-450 whp zone and run mid 13s in the quarter. Any and all help is greatly appreciated.

svtthis

Reaction score
I run a trailblazer tc that's been modified. Works really well and I'm happy with it. Going from a 5.3 to a 6.0 you won't be disappointed. Love the 4" bore

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
feed my stock Duramax exhaust with 4" inlet and outlet Borla muffler.

I'd really like to be in the 400-450 whp zone and run mid 13s in the quarter.

That exhaust is too big and will kill your bottom end power and do nothing for the other end.

If your race weight is 5900 pounds and you want to run mid 13s at about 100 mph through the traps, you're going to have to put down 456 Rear Wheel Horsepower; more to make it consistent.

This fellas is in the 12s with a 6.2 : @randeez

randeez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
good luck.

:D "putting down" the power being the important part here's an idea of mods and where mine was at stop where you want really, or dont

kidding, you're on the right track - mine went from a 15.2 stock/tune only to 14.1 with cam, (first) stall, headers/ypipe, and pretty safe tune.

slowly worked my way down to 13.6s over the next couple of months - different tuner, adjustable rear shocks, e-85 fairly cheaply.

at that point nothing seemed to help- i swapped to 4.10 gears, built on the headers/ypipe with 4" all the way back with magnaflow straight thru mufflers, coils overs in the front, starting tuning myself with hptuners, spohn rear adjustable bars, big open cone intake, nitto 420s
all that and it picked up a tenth, consistantly lol.

made the decision to swap out the converter, circle d told me when i bought the first one it'll do good to about 5-550hp i think the weight effected it quite a bit as well. first day out not changing anything and it dropped a few tenths 13.2-.3s with 1.8 60's. a little more tuning and managed to eek out a 12.99. it's been left that way for a few months now, i made a few little changes i didnt think would do much but last week at track it did a couple 13.10s and a 13.06 on 93oct

throughout all that it really hasnt picked up much mph, id have to go back and look at the earlier slips but it seemed to trap 100mph back then and still only does like 104 on a good day.

06 - you're going to be on a 4l60? what gears?
2wd/4wd? letting all the weight transfer and just running a good tire/shock would be rough on the rear axle but would cut a nice 60'
cams - to put down 450ish wheel hp even with a 6.0 is going to need to be pretty big, ie- its going to want stall and gears. if i only planned on ever doing a cam I would do a larger one than i have now (218/228) which is already larger than most of the "truck cams". .600+ lift will help keep the bottom end from feeling so sluggish.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MyCleftNut

Latest posts