06 Tahoe Bad Jiggle on the highway

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Mike Karapetian

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Hey everyone, i did a max trac lowering kit 3/4 in the stock shocks it road bad but it did not jiggle on the freeway it goes right to left like im pulling a trailer and its whip lashing left to right. This happened when i changed the shocks to bilstiens. Mysteriously now the back end bottom outs as well were i didnt notice it being a major problem before now its a constant problem. Not sure why the handling got much worse with brand new shocks. It needs an alignment but for sure an alignment is not gonna fix this issue its a bad jiggle and its scary.

drakon543

Full Access Member
Reaction score
from what im reading you did a fairly aggressive drop and are still using stock shock size. if im reading into this wrong but that appears to be the way you typed it out. then you switched to a better style stock style shock. so by what im assuming to be correct is your shocks are too long vs your shortened wheel travel so your shocks are bottoming out. also alot of higher grade shocks have a 2 stage valve based either on compression depth or speed. if your dropped on those shocks your probably already on the harsher valves which is going to make it even worse.

BTSRT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Did you cut off the bump stop mounts to free travel?

Fless

Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Hey everyone, i did a max trac lowering kit 3/4 in the stock shocks it road bad but it did not jiggle on the freeway it goes right to left like im pulling a trailer and its whip lashing left to right. This happened when i changed the shocks to bilstiens. Mysteriously now the back end bottom outs as well were i didnt notice it being a major problem before now its a constant problem. Not sure why the handling got much worse with brand new shocks. It needs an alignment but for sure an alignment is not gonna fix this issue its a bad jiggle and its scary.

Is this for an '06? Please confirm. If so we should get a mod to put it in the NBS section.

wsteele

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have never run out of shock travel on a street car, but when I was road racing, if you bottomed travel aburptly, you were going for an unplanned ride, unless your shock bump stops were just so...

OP
OP
Mike Karapetian

Mike Karapetian

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
My bump stops are not cut yet they will this sunday. I got the 4600 bilstien shocks. Only other option was off road bilstien. When it was lowered with the stock shocks and they were in terrible shape although it didnt ride great it did not cause the back end to wobble side to side when i hit a slight dip or bump on the freeway this happens 60+mph. Its pretty sketchy to say the least. I was told to get a rk2000 kit from jdm i think that may help but at this point no clue. I got the front aligned today the front alignment was terrible but the rears he told me were fine. We checked the rear suspension thoroughly and found nothing loose or out of wack. This is a 2006 Tahoe LS 4.8

wsteele

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The problem when you run out of travel and bottom a shock (or a solid bump stop), the wheel rate goes right to the vertical. The suspension, isn't a suspension anymore.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
buckeyeglazier