06 Tahoe 5.3 - hi and lo oil pressure?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Shibbershabber

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Got an odd one here

2006 5.3 with 164k

Oil pressure gauge is pegged xlose to 80 but also getting a 'low oil pressure' warning message too

Drives fine, no ticking

Just the sending unit maybe?

chevymopar

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Put a real gauge on it and test it.

I had a 2005 trailblazer i would get that message. Apparently, on that model gauge looked analog but it was a calculation from the pcm based on rpms. Basically a glorified idiot light. Mine would drop to zero and back up. I put a physical guage on it and drove around the pressure was always there. this is a known issue. Maybe the Yukons are the same way?

i'm not a mechanic so don't hate on my description of the scenario.

chevymopar

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Put a real gauge on it and test it.

I had a 2005 trailblazer i would get that message. Apparently, on that model gauge looked analog but it was a calculation from the pcm based on rpms. Basically a glorified idiot light. Mine would drop to zero and back up. I put a physical guage on it and drove around the pressure was always there. this is a known issue. Maybe the Yukons are the same way?

i'm not a mechanic so don't hate on my description of the scenario.
found my old notes on this below is the most straight forward explanation i saw

GM's description is that the oil pressure is monitored by a 3-way switch
sm-nachdenk.gif

It will signal the PCM @ 0psi, 40psi, & 80psi...all readings in between are calculations made by the PCM using this information and other inputs based on a pre-determined set of conditions programed into the PCM