"06 Escalade Build: Engine cover finished!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
m1949

m1949

LS364/450
Reaction score
They did a great job on the armrests, like the rest of the upholstery work. Must be costing you a small fortune!
I try to think of its cost in relative terms. Compared to the cost of a stock condition/mileage 06 its a lot of money. However thinking of it as being in a number of ways a better than new 06 Escalade and then comparing its cost to the price for an almost new Escalade, it seems like a bargain! One top of that, I have an Escalade of the model era I most like that is built to my taste and my daily driver requirement. An added bonus is it's one of many examples of modified and/or mint condition, enthusiasts-owned-Escalades/Tahoes/Yukons from this era which a lot of folks admire.

Last edited:

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I try to think of its cost in relative terms. Compared to the cost of a stock condition/mileage 06 its a lot of money. However thinking of it as being in a number of ways a better than new 06 Escalade and then comparing its cost to the price for an almost new Escalade, it seems like a bargain! One top of that, I have an Escalade of the model era I most like that is built to my taste and my daily driver requirement. An added bonus is it's one of many examples of modified and/or mint condition, enthusiasts-owned-Escalades/Tahoes/Yukons from this era which a lot of folks admire.
Oh yeah I understand. I have an 02 Denali with a blower, Wilwood 16” brakes, and probably another $10k in upgrades to go along with those. And it’s my daily. My other truck has had a lot more done to it, that one doesn’t get driven much. There’s links to my build threads in my sig if you’re interested but it looks like you’re a bit busy. :lol2: :rolleyes:

OP
OP
m1949

m1949

LS364/450
Reaction score
Buttoning up continues! The builder is dealing with last few details; one of which is removal of the 6 CD player and turning the space it occupied into a dual cell phone charge station. To maximize space we used the CD changer housing rather than going with an insert. Not really snappy or elegant, but it is functional and convenient. Here is a link to the charge pads: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B089VVG3ZP?psc=1...

Attachments

• Charge pad install.jpg
    Charge pad install.jpg
    123.6 KB · Views: 10

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Buttoning up continues! The builder is dealing with last few details; one of which is removal of the 6 CD player and turning the space it occupied into a dual cell phone charge station. To maximize space we used the CD changer housing rather than going with an insert. Not really snappy or elegant, but it is functional and convenient. Here is a link to the charge pads: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B089VVG3ZP?psc=1...
You can fit a standard single DIN pocket in place of the CD changer. I removed the brackets off the changer, installed them on the pocket, and reinstalled the pocket. Worked out slick.

OP
OP
m1949

m1949

LS364/450
Reaction score
You can fit a standard single DIN pocket in place of the CD changer. I removed the brackets off the changer, installed them on the pocket, and reinstalled the pocket. Worked out slick.
Yeah, I looked into that. My concern was the din pocket I found was more shallow than the CD Player holder. I wanted the pocket as deep as possible to be sure my present phone and future phones would fit in all the way. Probably isn't an issue, but I just wanted the little bit of extra depth.

OP
OP
m1949

m1949

LS364/450
Reaction score
For me the little things, the last 2%, makes the difference. Case in point is the truck style engine cover that now covers the truck manifold (but not the coil packs) on my 06 Escalade. Wasn't really happy with its style even after some paint and decals. It doesn't cover the coil covers. Not a fan of the OE 3 piece covers either, even though they do a good job of hiding engine clutter. IMO, their curvy style doesn't match the linear angles of Gen 2 Escalades. For a while I've been checking Ebay for a CTSV engine cover at a decent price. One finally came up and I snatched it. Here is a photoshop mockup of how I think it will look once I modify it to fit the truck manifold and do repaint and hydro-dipping.

Attachments

• CTSVREDBLACL Cover.jpg
    CTSVREDBLACL Cover.jpg
    98.9 KB · Views: 6
  • modifiedCTSVcover3.jpg
    modifiedCTSVcover3.jpg
    70 KB · Views: 5

adventurenali92

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Now I really like the idea of taking the cd changer out and using it for a charging spot for the phone! I’ve been contemplating what to do with that spot since my CD changer is just a brick. Lol. I haven’t used CDs since well before I bought the Denali in 2015 and I’ve had an aftermarket headunit in the truck since 2016. How does the wireless charger pad power? Is it a battery powered setup that needs to be recharged every so often or is it hardwired into power from the truck somewhere behind the storage pocket?

OP
OP
m1949

m1949

LS364/450
Reaction score
Now I really like the idea of taking the cd changer out and using it for a charging spot for the phone! I’ve been contemplating what to do with that spot since my CD changer is just a brick. Lol. I haven’t used CDs since well before I bought the Denali in 2015 and I’ve had an aftermarket headunit in the truck since 2016. How does the wireless charger pad power? Is it a battery powered setup that needs to be recharged every so often or is it hardwired into power from the truck somewhere behind the storage pocket?
Charge pads came with usb connections, but the previous owner installed USB ports in the cupholder console and we hard wired it to that.

Last edited:

adventurenali92

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Charge pads came with usb connections, but the previous owner installed USB ports in the cupholder console and we hard wired it to that.
Interesting thought. I replaced my the cigarette lighter that’s right above my cd changer with a dual USB port. I wonder if I could hardwire the charging pad into that…..

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DefiantOne